Boot Camp w/ triple-boot OSX, XP, FC6?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by amper, Mar 1, 2007.

1. amper

amper Bit poster

I'm trying to get Build 3186 working on my MacBook that has a triple-boot setup using Boot Camp with Mac OS X, Windows XP, and Fedora Core 6, using GRUB 0.97 (or whatever the default version of GRUB that ships with FC6 is) to choose between Linux and Windows.

I tried to follow the directions in the User's Guide, but on page 212, where it refers you to the product FAQ for "Custom Boot Camp disks", there is no entry in the product FAQ that covers this issue. A Google search turned up this topic:

http://forum.parallels.com/post42129.html

But after attempting to follow the directions in that topic, I am left with two virtual machines that still don't work. I created one for XP, and one for FC6. For both of these VMs, I used the output of the "mount" command to add the BSD slice to the relevant entry:

Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp;disk0s4

...for the XP install, and for the FC6 install...

Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp;disk0s3

...these are the only changes I made.

When I try to boot Linux, I get the message, "You are trying to boot via virtual machine into the Boot Camp partition with operating system that is not supported by Parallels Desktop...blah, blah, blah". When I try to boot XP, I get a "BIOS" message saying, "Boot from hard drive ... Missing operating system".

Is there anyone out there who knows what's going on here? I understand that Boot Camp partitions are only supported for XP installs, but why can't I even boot my XP install? GRUB shouldn't be affecting this, since it's set up to chainload NTLDR.

2. sck_nogas

sck_nogas Junior Member

How did you slice your disks originally?

I used the steps from Triple Boot via BootCamp where I did a
    Code:
      sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 100G "Linux" Fedora_Linux 20G "MS-DOS FAT32" Windows_NT 40G
    to partition my laptop.Note: the 160GiB drive sold with my laptop is NOT 160GB in size, thus I had to do the actual BYTE sizes, but for the example above, I simplified. :)

Then it was a simple 'select' in rEFIt & install, rinse, repeat.

In my thread where I can't boot Linux via Parallel;s I did get farther with Build 3186...

Scott

3. amper

amper Bit poster

I purchased two new Macs in December, a black Core 2 Duo MacBook, and a 17" Core 2 Duo iMac. I'm using the same setup on both machines. I cloned the original Apple installation using Babich's Carbon Copy Cloner to an external FW drive. I booted from the FW drive and used Apple's Disk Utility to repartition the internal drives into three partitions (HFS+, Journaled on disk0s2, UFS on disk 0s3, and FAT32 on disk0s4 partitions). Next, I re-cloned my Mac OS X installation back to disk0s2.

Then I extracted the Boot Camp drivers from the BC app bundle and installed Windows XP Pro SP2 from a brand-new retail package (leaving my disk0s4 as FAT32 so I can write to it from Mac OS X). Next, I installed FC6 (formatting disk0s3 as ext3) and used GRUB for my secondary bootloader. I also mount my Windows partition under Linux as "/win".

My grub.conf needed a little massaging (and still won't chainload Mac OS X), but everything works as I expect (aside from a minor USB issue during the boot process). All of this is better documented in Apple's Boot Camp discussion forum (just search for posts by Michael Amper).