Boot from hard drive.....

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by joegrillman, May 10, 2007.

1. joegrillman

joegrillman Bit poster

Ok, I have parallels on macbook, running xp pro. When I open desktop, it is a black screeen that says Boot from hard drive..... a disk read error occurrred Press ctrl+alt+del to restart. No amount of restarts result in anything. Do I have to boot from the xp disc, will I lose files and programs on a reinstall. i just programmed the hell out of it and didnt have a chance to back it up.

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

use the repair function of the XP setup .... sounds like something has gone slightly wrong with your installation.

3. joegrillman

joegrillman Bit poster

how do i do that. ive tried to boot from cd and it still fails

4. starant

starant Bit poster

I've got the same problem. Did you figure out a way to fix this? Please email me: starant@comcast.net

5. jbhuff

jbhuff Bit poster

same here

I'm having the same problem. If someone figures this out, please let us know.

6. bombastinator

bombastinator Member

what else might it be trying to boot from I wonder? Did you have a bootable CD in the drive at the time this first happened?

7. jbhuff

jbhuff Bit poster

yeah, the windows xp sp2 install disk. It seemed parallels froze right when it was about to start installing windows on the new VM. So I shut it down since it wasn't responding. When I restarted Parallels, thats the message that shows up while the BIOS loads: Boot from hard drive....
    It just freezes on that.

8. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

the cd drive is only booted from ont he first boot of a new VM. Should you experience a crash or soemthing goes wrong, you MUST edit your VM config, under the Booting tab and set it to CDROM-HARD-DRIVE else it will only ever attempt to boot from your empty hard drive regardless of whether you have a bootable CD in or not.

9. jbhuff

jbhuff Bit poster

yes!

thank you! that did the trick. much obliged.