Boot into Parallels for gamers

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by oliver16, Apr 24, 2022.

1. oliver16

oliver16 Junior Member

So it can run DirectX, OpenGL and Vulkan natively without having to convert them to Metal, gamers would really appreciate this as the current gaming experience through parallels is laggy and the frame rate can rarely stay at 60fps even for Rocket League.

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @oliver16, would you please elaborate on your request? "So it can run DirectX, OpenGL and Vulkan natively without having to convert them to Metal" - what do you mean by "it"?

3. oliver16

oliver16 Junior Member

On MacOS Apple requires everything which accesses the GPU to go through their Metal graphics API, which means all graphics instructions have to be converted to Metal before they can be processed, parallels has to convert OpenGL and DirectX into Metal instructions, but this isn't as efficient or reliable as running those natively and until Metal 3 in MacOS 13's addition of mesh shaders it wasn't even possible for parallels developers to support Vulkan.

4. oliver16

oliver16 Junior Member

I don't work at parallels though so if I'm wrong please feel free to correct me.