Bootcamp Partition is not Appearing in Startup Disk of Mac OS

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by TimothyP, Dec 6, 2010.

1. TimothyP

TimothyP Junior Member

I just installed Bootcamp with a Windows 7 partition. After the installation, I started up in Mac OS and went to Startup Disk in order to select Mac OS as my default operating system, but I noticed that the Bootcamp Windows partition does not appear in Startup Disk. I had installed NTFS for Mac OS X before installing Bootcamp (a third party app that allows me to read and write files from a Windows formatted external hard drive) and I've been told that this is the likely culprit. Furthermore, I've been told that there is no way to resolve this issue.

I would like to install Parallels Desktop on my Mac OS and use the Windows Bootcamp partition as the virtual hard drive. However, it's my understanding that this will not be possible since Parallels cannot find the Bootcamp partition when it doesn't appear in the Startup Disk.

Short of removing the Bootcamp partition, uninstalling the NTFS for Mac OS X software, and then creating a new Bootcamp partition and installing all of my Windows software, does anyone know of any solution to this problem? I'd really rather not remove the Windows partition and start all over again if possible, however I also want to be sure that Parallels installs and works properly. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. alev

alev Parallels Team

Looks like some 3rd party app mounts BootCamp partition (to give you possibility to write) so it could not be founded as Startup Disk. Probably your NTFS for Mac one.

You could boot in BootCamp by holding Option button at boot and select BC partition.

As for Parallels - I recommend you to install when your BC disk is mounted by Mac not 3rd party app.