Bootcamp Partition Not Found in Manual Configuration

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KengS, Sep 30, 2017.

1. KengS

KengS Bit poster

I try to use Parallel on the bootcamp partition (it is created using the bootcamp assistance), but the option was not given in the setup wizards.
    Then I came across this article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/116235
    I follow through the whole article, but in the end, the bootcamp partition was not available in the drop-down list for the hardisk source (see the attached screenshot).
    I have tried to uninstall Paragon NTFS just in case it might cause Parallel unable to detect the partition correctly, but after uninstall and restart, went though the whole process again, the option is still not found in the drop-down menu.

Parallel Desktop Version 13.0.1
    MacOS Version: High Sierra
    Windows Version: Windows 10 Creator Update

Attached Files:

2. BrianS12

BrianS12 Bit poster

Best Answer
    I had a similar issue, and got help to figure it out. My problem was that I had a previous "My Boot Camp" installation that I had gotten rid of, and then re-installed (re-partition, etc.). When I would load Parallels it had a "My Boot Camp" that would come up but it wouldn't boot. I would close it, then go to File->New and then there wasn't an option for Boot Camp, and the manual configuration wouldn't work. However, when it had the "My Boot Camp" up you can right-click, then click "Remove". After that, it would go right into a setup for Boot Camp, and after letting it install the installation worked. Closing the window wasn't enough, you had to remove it from Parallels. Now everything is good again. Hope that helps someone....

JohannesB10 and ThomasC9 like this.
  3. MaximilianZ1

MaximilianZ1 Bit poster

I'm experiencing the exact same issue, also on High Sierra with Parallels 13 and Windows 10 Creator's Update

4. KengS

KengS Bit poster

Try to Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP) like suggested in the forum.
    After enable back the SIP, VM cannot launch with OS not found error.
    Back to Bootcamp into Windows, Windows activation now totally screw up.
    What a great experience.

5. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @KengS , please follow as suggested below:

Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP).
    1.Restart the Mac, on Apple logo loading screen press CMD + R to boot into Recovery.
    2.In Recovery, on Mac menu bar locate Utilities menu > open Terminal application.
    3.Type in the commands below one-by-one:

csrutil disable

reboot

4.Back in a normal mode remove the existing machine or create the new one, depending on the customer's scenario.
    5.Boot macOS into Recovery again and enable SIP back running the following Terminal commands:

csrutil enable

reboot.

Please see if this works. Thanks!

6. KengS

KengS Bit poster

This is exactly what I follow, VM unable to boot up after enable back the SIP and Windows activation totally screw up now.

7. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Please let us know your Mac OS X version you are using? Thanks!

8. Killerbob

Killerbob Member

This is lame...

I am not going to disable a functionality the Apple actually warns not to turn of. Parallels should work with Bootcamps, just as advertised!

9. ThomasC9

ThomasC9 Junior Member

I have the same problem. Any solution?

10. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello @ThomasC9 , have you tried the below steps?

Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP).
    1.Restart the Mac, on Apple logo loading screen press CMD + R to boot into Recovery.
    2.In Recovery, on Mac menu bar locate Utilities menu > open Terminal application.
    3.Type in the commands below one-by-one:

csrutil disable

reboot

4.Back in a normal mode remove the existing machine or create the new one, depending on the customer's scenario.
    5.Boot macOS into Recovery again and enable SIP back running the following Terminal commands:

csrutil enable

reboot.

Please see if this works. Thanks!

11. ThomasC9

ThomasC9 Junior Member

It kinda worked. After deactivating the SIP and rebooting into OS X, I first had to activate the BOOTCAMP partition in the disk utility. Afterwards Parallels offered the option to create a virtual machine from Boot Camp.

12. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @ThomasC9 , please let us know if you need any additional assistance.

13. William14

William14 Bit poster

I'm having the same exact issue! I installed High Sierra this week and today I've tried changing the hardware allocation for the VM, which did not work. My Boot Camp stopped working right away, displaying an error message. I then uninstalled Parallels completely then reinstalled a fresh version and now it won't find BOOTCAMP. I've spent over 2 hours tonight trying to make everything work.

I paid the high price for Parallels a few weeks ago and I keep experiencing weird bugs every now and then. I'm getting really tired of all the trouble I'm getting. Why doesn't it just work as advertised ?

14. KengS

KengS Bit poster

As mention in my first post, I'm running on High Sierra.

15. ThomasC9

ThomasC9 Junior Member

@Arun@Parallels: My BOOTCAMP partition is disabled every time I boot OS X and I need to activate it in the disk utility, before I can use it with Parallels. Using High Sierra and like @KengS had Paragon NTFS for Mac installed (now uninstalled), if this could be an issue.

16. Killerbob

Killerbob Member

17. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @William14, we released a new update Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Update 1 (13.1.0-43108) and this update for Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac 13.1.0 (43108) addresses this issue. To check for updates, click on the Parallels Desktop menu on Mac menu bar and select Check for Updates: http://kb.parallels.com/124262

18. RentaroH

RentaroH Bit poster

I also have the same problem, cannot find the existing Bootcamp volume in the setting up in Parallel. I tried rebooting from safe mode, and doing "csrutil disable" things, but there is no change. I have checked the latest build, which is currently 13.1.1 under High Sierra10.13.
    Is there any way I can recover my existing bootcamps volume? I bought Parallel 13 just for my system which has been already upgraded to High Sierra. This is really waste of my time and money.....

19. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi RentaroH. Please check whether Windows works properly within the boot camp partition natively - restart your Mac, hold down the 'Option' key as soon as you see the Apple logo screen, select the Windows partition in the following screen and boot the computer into the Windows platform. If Windows works properly in the native boot camp, then boot the Mac back into macOS, navigate to Apple Icon -> System Preferences... -> Startup Disk and Finder -> Go -> Utilities -> Disk Utility and check if the boot camp partition appears in these two locations.
    Can you please update Parallels Desktop and check if it helps? If not, then please follow the steps that I suggested right above and revert with the results.

20. Killerbob

Killerbob Member

We have already done all of these things... My Bootcamp works just fine using 'Option' at boot. All of that is fine. It is "just" Parallels that do not see the Bootcamp partition... The only way I got back was by deleting the Windows Recovery partition, delete the Bootcamp partition, and recreate it. Then start the Windows 10 installation, stop that, and restore from my WinClone backup. Then it works.

Please get Parallels working right with High Sierra - it is NOT there yet.

21. RentaroH

RentaroH Bit poster

I have checked Startup disk and disk utility, and my bootcamp volume appears without any problem. What else can I do further.....