Bootcamp Vista SP1 no longer passing validation after starting 5582

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mark.burton, Jan 4, 2008.

1. mark.burton

mark.burton Member

I recently installed Vista SP1 RC1 on my Bootcamp Vista.

I hadn't used Parallels for a while and went and downloaded the latest 5582 build. When I tried to start the virtual machine it failed to load windows.

When I tried again it reported there had been a problem starting Windows - it tried again and failed again. Same every time.

I went back to booting Windows via Bootcamp and now it says the installation has been altered/tampered with and that I need to pass the validation test. However it now fails to pass this test and so I have no way of using my very genuine Vista install.

Is there any way back from this mess? Or do I have to reinstall Vista from scratch. I'm guessing this has something to do with me applying the SP1 RC1 update to Vista which Parallels was not happy with, but what I don't understand is what Parallels did to the installation to screw it up so that it won't now even recognise that it is a genuine copy of Windows :-(

Thanks for your help.
    Mark

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

It is probably requiring re-activation because more than three hardware devices changed. It's M$'s activation method, have you tried calling them?

3. MacDog

MacDog Bit poster

I had the same problem, ref http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=18620&highlight=vista+sp1

To fix it:
    1. Boot into Safe Mode (press F8 during boot)
    2. Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking Disk Cleanup.
    3. When Disk Cleanup completes, restart in normal mode.
    4. When starting Windows you will have to re-enter your Windows product key.

Reactivation will go automatic.

4. mark.burton

mark.burton Member

In the past I have had to reactivate when using newer builds of Parallels. That was mostly with Windows XP SP2, I haven't been using it much with Vista and so I guess I hadn't come across this with the new OS yet.

Vista is a lot stricter about this it seems, since it completely locks you out of the interface and when I try and run the online validation (the only option it gives me), it fails every time. I wish there was a way for Parallels to work around this security lock down every time they release a new build, I'm sure its of Microsoft's doing though.

What three bits of hardware does Parallels masquerade as, since I've not changed any physical hardware.

Thanks
    Mark
    ---------------------------
    MacBook Pro 2.16
    Parallels 3.0 5582
    Bootcamp Vista SP1 RC1

5. mark.burton

mark.burton Member

Thanks MacDog, very relieved to hear I won't have to reinstall.

6. mark.burton

mark.burton Member

That worked great - thanks so much for that, I was dreading having to re-install.