Bootcamp works fine, Parallels BC image doesnt!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by gat89, Jul 8, 2007.

1. gat89

gat89 Bit poster

Hi I am running into a big problem. I can boot up my WinXP just fine in Bootcamp. However when I am on my OSX and then start up Parallels which run my BC image, it doesn't even get into that WinXP loading screen. I can however get into safe mode which hangs at the following:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\system32\hal.dll
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\system32\KDCOM.DLL
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\system32\BOOTVID.dll

seems like someone else has a similar problem but it was reversed (Parallels BC worked, but BC itself did not load)

any ideas? Thanks!

2. Juggernart

Juggernart Member

Had a similar problem where native boot into Bootcamp worked, but booting with Parallels hung after the "boot camp configuration" selection screen.
    It appeared after I did a system recover of XP to last known state in Bootcamp.

I could only solve it by deinstalling Parallels (build 4128) with the deinstaller and by deinstalling all other files used by Parallels. I kept my VM's of course.
    Then installed and activated 4128 again.
    I also had to create a new "Bootcamp" VM in Parallels.

3. GProbie

GProbie Bit poster

Hi. I have the same problem - no problem with Boot Camp, but the same image does not work with Parallels.

I sent a support email to the Parallels team towards the end of last week and am still awaiting a reply. The content of that email follows:

I have a VM using the Boot Camp image on my HDD. I can boot into Boot Camp with not problems at all. But when I boot using Parallels, the process hangs. On using Safe Boot, the process seems to stop at the NTOSKRNL module.

The image is Windows XP Pro, with MS-Office 2007. Yesterday, when in Boot Camp, I reactivated Office 2007. Prior to that I had no problems with Parallels - now I do​

I was wondering whether it was the Office reactivation that cause the problem. I have also been considering whether I need to uninstall and reinstall Parallels.

The system details: MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo; 2Gb Memory; 120Gb HDD. Parallels 3 build 4128.

Interested to hear how things turn out ....

4. ecologisto

ecologisto Junior Member

got the same problem.

I first try to regenerate boot.ini on the windows side but it didn't help.

After uninstalling and reinstalling everything came right.

Hope that could help someone else

Barth

5. ecologisto

ecologisto Junior Member

Ok, i just noticed that i have to activate windows *again*.

6. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I discarded the idea of Boootcamp last year because it was in unsupported perpetual beta

have any of you tried to clone a bootcamp set up into a pure parallels VM image

it might be a good work around
    or can transporter do that?

Hugh W

7. GProbie

GProbie Bit poster

Hi

I fixed my problem by doing the following:

1. uninstalled Parallels
    2. booted into Boot Camp (to make sure it still worked). I checked also that Parallel Tools was uninstalled.
    3. reinstalled Parallels (and Tools after starting up the XP image)

It all worked fine again after that process.

Trust this may help others.

8. Paramac2

Paramac2 Bit poster

Hello,

does someone have an idea how to proceed for the inverse problem:

seems like someone else has a similar problem but it was reversed (Parallels BC worked, but BC itself did not load)

After a crash in Parallels, Boot Camp doesn't boot anymore, but Parallels is still working fine.

Thanks in advance for any hint

Paramac2

9. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

http://kb.parallels.com/en/4672

10. John@Parallels

Please download build 5604 following link bellow:
    http://download.parallels.com/v3/en/GA/Parallels-Desktop-5604-Mac-en.dmg

and reinstall Parallels Desktop as described in kb
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790

11. Paramac2

Paramac2 Bit poster

Hello,

thank you John for your quick reply. I already tried the options "clear Parallels informations from BC partition" and "make two hardware profiles" without success. Making a new hardwarde profile from within Parallels doesn't affect de BC boot sequence.

The only way seems to be the Windows Repair Installation ;-((.

Regards

Paramac2

12. John@Parallels

Is it possible also to provide diskutil list output from Terminal while Parallels Desktop is stopped?

13. soundevolution

soundevolution Member

I was having the same problem: stalling on a black screen, and I couldn't do any safe boot either.

Clearing the Parallels Tools solved the problem for me. Although that did mean I had to re-activate Windows again.

I tried uninstalling Parallels Tools from inside Windows (booting natively via Bootcamp) but that wasn't possible.... I wish the option was more obvious in Parallels! I would have found it on my own much sooner!