Booting from Bootcamp Partition

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by MtnBiker, Jan 4, 2007.

1. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Bit poster

I'm a bit confused by all the new stuff and terminology, and not an experienced Windows user. Coherence, Transporter.

In Parallels, I wanted to boot from my installation in Bootcamp and can't figure out how to do it. I had to do a total reinstall on my iMac, but the Bootcamp stayed through installation and still works. I installed the "Parallels Tools for Boot Camp." I freshly installed Parallels Build 1970. How do I use the Bootcamp Partition?

I gather that Transporter would move that to be the "disk/intallation" I'd use with Parallels, but I think I'd rather keep the Bootcamp version as my sole installation.

My reasoning for using the BootCamp partition is that my two main uses for Windows are installing updaters to GPSr units and also to my photo storage device and that it should be more robust running under Bootcamp. My second use will be mapping (as in street maps/Google Earth) and many of those programs are Windows only. For that I'd prefer to be in Parallels (well in fact I probably wouldn't bother if I had to reboot to do it). And I only want to maintain one installation of Windows (and that's one too many).

2. palter

palter Hunter

If you want to use BootCamp within Parallels, you need to do 2 things:

First, uninstall Parallels Tools for BootCamp; they are obsolete and will cause problems.

Second, you need to download the latest beta release of Parallels (Build 3106). Build 1970 does not support booting from a BootCamp partition.

3. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Bit poster

Thank you. I guess I'm more confused than I thought.

But this post <http://forum.parallels.com/thread5997.html> says that Parallels Tools for Boot Camp is needed.

<Whining on--message to Parallels team>
    (Maybe that's not what you said, I'll have to reread your posting, but vBulletin isn't showing the posting I'm responding to.)

Oh, you're referring to a later version. I can't seem to find anything on the Parallels site. News doesn't have it. The Blog doesn't. No link to forum on main page nor on Parallels Desktop for Mac page. It's not on the announcement section of the forum, although an old beta posting is there, but how is one to know it's old? Ah, finallly (maybe, who knows), the Mac section of the forum has what appears to be the latest beta. But where will the announcement be posted next time,
    <Whining off>

Now to look for the beta version you mentioned.
    Thank you again.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  4. palter

palter Hunter

Parallels Tools for Boot Camp was needed if using Beta 1. As of Beta 2, they changed how they do things so that it's no longer needed and the instructions for Beta 2 (and Beta 3) say to remove it.

5. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Bit poster

Thanks again.

I'll switch to the right group to ask my next question. How do I use the Boot Camp partition. I found the Custom Installation, then Clicked "Use Boot Camp", accepted recommended " Shared Networking" Put in a name for my installation, then I get "Choose ISO image file to install the Windows XP from."

FIXED: I accepted the default name for the installation and things went better (got a crash, but probably my impatience to get back to Safari and write this post.)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007