Booting specific DOS versions from OS/2 are not supported

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by rs37, May 1, 2006.

1. rs37

rs37 Member

The 8086 emulation component of OS/2 provides an environment that is like an 8086 based microcomputer and provides the ability to load not only VDM DOS emulation but native versions of DOS as well.

When I'm trying to launch a VMB (Virtual Machine Boot) from OS/2 2.1 from a floppy image with MS DOS 6.22 Parallels VM crashed with a fatal error. Doing the same, now from EcS 1.2 R VM, trying to boot a specific MS DOS 7 direct from floppy drive I got similar fatal error from Parallels. In both cases I filled and sent the report (please, when I say "VDM" in report, read "VMB").

Well, my OS/2 2.1 VM is not running any OS2 LAN software, so my idea was to boot a specific DOS session with the appropriate DOS LAN drivers, which directly control the Parallels virtual network adapter. Is this will be possible in future versions?

rfsenger

2. rs37

rs37 Member

As I have problems emailing the cited automatically generated bug reports, I generated another one and sent it. I have done some search about this topic and seems that these VMB's work without problems under MS/Connectix Virtual PC, so there is not a specific virtualization technology limitation I guess.

rfsenger

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Could you attach your bugreport here as well?