[Bug Report] - Acrobat Pro "Combine Files" Won't Work From Shared Directory

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by automandc, Jun 2, 2008.

1. automandc

automandc Junior Member

WinXP Pro / Acrobat Pro 8.1.2:

Acrobat Pro seems to munge the directory path to files it is trying to combine using the "Combine Files" option when the files to be combined are in a shared directory that is mounted as a lettered drive. For example, here is the path of the file Acrobat is trying to open (I used Process Monitor to discover this):

F:\Dir1\Dir2\PSF\Docs\Dir1\Dir2\filename.pdf

However, the underlined part (everything from \PSF to the name of the file) is not correct, the actual path to the file is only F:\Dir1\Dir2\filename.pdf

Interestingly, "Docs" (the part Acrobat is inserting between PSF and Dir1 is the name of the shared folder) is the name of the Shared Folder, so it seems to be combining the lettered-drive path with the absolute path for some reason.

If I navigate to the files to be combined through the "My Network" instead of the mounted drive letter, then it works fine. It also works fine with files on "real" networked shares that are mounted as letters. And, I can use the Acrobat "Open..." file command to open files in shared directories through the lettered path. The problem only occurs when trying to use the "Combine Files" option. This leads me to believe that Acrobat is doing some type of non-standard file access when it combines, and that method is not working with the parallels share folders.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We will investigate problem and will inform you, if you can create ticket in support that will be great

3. automandc

automandc Junior Member

Thanks. How do I create a ticket?

4. John@Parallels

I am not able to reproduce the bug.
    I installed trial Adobe Acrobat, shared all Mac disk, and home folder, tried to open file from network disk y and z, everything is ok.
    Please try following:
    1. in Terminal cd Documents
    rm -rf .parallels-vm-directory
    2. in Windows right click network disk click disconnect.
    3. Deleted Parallels Shared Folders shortcut on Desktop and in C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools
    4. Update MacFuse from http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/
    Try to restart VM
    Reinstall Parallels Tools in Windows.

5. automandc

automandc Junior Member

Sorry for the delay in responding. I tried all the steps you suggested (multiple times, in different order). I also upgrade to the newest build, but the problem persists.

Now, Adobe seems to also get the wrong drive letter when trying to access the files on the mapped share.

Couple of points that may make a difference:

(1) I remapped my shared folders to different letters than the default (I want them to be "F" and "G" rather than at the end of the alphabet).

(2) In the latest set up, I did not create the shares through the Parallels VM control panel. Rather, I shared the Mac Home folder, then navigated to the sub folders I want as drive shares in Windows Explorer and mounted them as mapped drives via Windows. So my VM says I have "0" shared folders, but I have the same folders mounting every boot.

Anyway, this isn't a significant problem as I can workaround by either copying the files to a local drive before combining, or navigating to them via the UNC. Still, I am curious to know why Acrobat Pro seems to be the only app. that has this problem.

On a related question, how do I create a ticket if I have a bug to report? I have another more serious but obscure issue I want to report.

Thanks

6. John@Parallels