Build 1940 upgrade-necessary to reinstall XP?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by andrewm, Oct 14, 2006.

1. andrewm

andrewm Bit poster

Is it necessary to reinstall XP after upgrading to build 1940? I cannot find my old virtual machine file anywhere. I grabbed all the .pvs files from the trash, but none worked-all say that I have no OS on my VM, even though I was able to use XP without any problem (once I lowered the RAM) on my old build. I am afraid that I accidentally overwritten the old virtual machine file when I upgraded.

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. VTMac

VTMac Pro

It's definitely not necessary to reinstall your VMs. So it would seem that you may have actaully overwritten or deleted your old ones.

3. joem

joem Forum Maven

To upgrade to 1940, here's what worked for me:

I uninstalled the old version of Parallels using the uninstaller that came with it. This does not uninstall everything, but it does remove the app itself and the kernel extensions.

Then I installed the new 1940 build.

I then restarted the Mac.

Next I started my VM, and installed Parallels tools over the old version -- no need to remove the old tools first.

Then after rebooting the guest, I shut it down, shut down Parallels, and restarted everything to make sure it worked.

Next, I shut down again, and backed up my .hdd files. Then I started up again and ran Compressor (a very long process), restarted, and tested functionality -- it all worked.

Then I backed up my .hdd files again, and now all works fine.