Build 3094 Beta 2 - USB 2.0 High Speed support question

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dburr, Dec 21, 2006.

1. dburr

dburr Junior Member

(This was originally posted in the 3094 Beta 2 thread, but forum mods suggested that individual issue-related threads should be moved into their own thread, so here it is.)

I noted with much glee that the latest Parallels beta now supports high speed USB 2. Finally!! Thank you for implementing this. However, I have a question.

One of my main irritations with Parallels is the extreme slow sync speed of my PDA smartphone. (it is a T-Mobile MDA, which is actually a HTC Wizard in T-Mobile clothing. This is a Windows Mobile 5 device, and I am running ActiveSync 4.2 in Parallels.) I am hoping that the new USB 2 support will improve my sync speed; however the following note in the release notes concerns me: "NOTE! Current Build 3094 doesn’t support isochronous devices such as web cameras, microphones, etc."

What exactly is an isochronous device, and is my PDA/smartphone considered one? (note I am syncing using RNDIS mode) If RNDIS mode is incompatible then would switching to the older serial sync protocol help?

Thanks for the help.
    Donald

2. barnys

barnys Member

Hi dburr,

I know what you mean! I understand per "isochronous device" those that transmer data in a choppy, bursty mode, rather than in a stream. All video equipment, sound (headsets, microphones, etc), webcams, are usually choppy and bursty in their transfers, whereas a read/write from a hard drive is more constant.

Anyway, I would be delighted with Parallels if only I could use my bluetooth/USB plantronics headseat. With this I will be able to finally use my voice over IP phone from work, without having to carry an analog headset.