Build 3540 any improvements?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Scudder, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Olmy

Olmy Bit poster

I updated into the latest 4.0.3810 version and unfortunately the wobbens "...stop and start of the Parallels Tools Service..." doesn't work anymore with Delphi and UltraVnc viewer freeze problem ;(.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Is it possible to test ultraVNC on test VM, I am not sure I am able to reproduce situation
    the same is for Delphi, test Vm, will narrow down the problem

3. Olmy

Olmy Bit poster

I guess it is John. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "test VM"? Do you have any ideas what could cause the problem or why the stop & start of Paralles Tools Service trick dosen't work anymore? I do software developement and I have punch of tools that I can use for debugging and monitoring but so far I don't have a clue why the problem exists.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

test VM, clean Windows install

5. Olmy

Olmy Bit poster

I haven't got the time for test VM, but I found out following details and also workaround for the WinVnc and Delphi freezes.

I noticed that the first time I used clipboard at host the Delphi app froze. When I disabled "Share clipboard" then there were no more problems with app freeze. Both WinVnc and Delphi monitor clipboard which got screwed in latest PD4.

I little workaround for the disabled "share clipboard" is to transfer text via rtf-file. With shortcuts the transfer file is easy to open and when it is open it is almost as easy as clipboard with "memory".

Best Regards
    Olmy

6. wobben

wobben Bit poster

Using ProcessExplorer I've noticed something odd. My previously mentioned batch file which restarts the Parallels Tools Services, it now leaves a dangling process. This prl_tools.exe is responsible for the Delphi freeze. When killing this app manually Delphi unfreezes immediately.

I haven't worked out how to kill this from the bacth file yet. I've reported this issue as a bug.

7. wobben

wobben Bit poster

Found a hack to undo the freeze. My previous batch file is extended with an extra line:

start net use y: /delete
    start net use z: /delete
    net stop "Parallels Tools Service"
    taskkill /F /T /IM prl_tools.exe
    net start "Parallels Tools Service"
    start net use y: \\.PSF\Projects
    start net use z: \\.PSF\Home

Run it, and be done.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  8. Olmy

Olmy Bit poster

Thanks again Wobben ;). I will try your hack when the next freeze occurrs.
    I'm very supriced that parallels can't fix this clipboard problem...

9. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello Olmy,

The clibboard issues were reported to Development and are going to be fixed in the updates coming.
    Please, configure your Parallels Desktop to receive updates automaticaly and you will get new version as soon as it is available.

10. Ty Hansen

Ty Hansen Bit poster

I am running into the same issue with my favorite FTP program, SmartFTP. This application feature a clipboard monitor, and like all windows programs I have tested with clipboard monitors, it freezes as soon as I copy text in OSX, provided the Parallels "Share Clipboard" feature is turned on.

See the thread here:
    http://www.smartftp.com/forums/index.php?/tracker/issue-20-crash-in-parallels/

What the thread does not mention is the hours I spent with their development team debugging this issue, being a software engineer myself we were able to talk tech and trace the problem down to a single line of code. Making the determination that not only were we unable to fix the problem, we were unable to set up any error trap to catch the problem. This issue needs to be addressed by the Parallels Team, as they are the only ones who can fix it.

Feel free to contact me for more technical details of this bug. I will now paste my original description of the bug I sent to SmartFTP.....

How to reproduce the crash:

1. Open SmartFTP
    2. Open a new document in Apple's TextEdit app.
    3. Type something, then select the text you typed.
    2. Press Command+C (Apple Key + C) to copy the text.
    3. Watch SmartFTP freeze hopelessly

That's it.... If you use the computers clipboard while SmartFTP is opened, it will crash... and it will also crash the Parallels Tools that synchronize the Windows and Mac clipboards. The only way to get clipboard working again is to reboot windows!

My uneducated guess is that there is some kind of module in SmartFTP that is monitoring the windows clipboard, and it gets in a cat fight with the Parallels clipboard module... and they both lose in the end.