Build 4128 VT-x problem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by sniken, Jun 16, 2007.

1. sniken

sniken Bit poster

Hi!

I have installed Parallels build 4128 on my MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, and now my Windows 2000 and XP virtual machines created with build 4124 does not work with VT-x checked. They get stuck in the loading screen. Trying to boot in safe mode does not help. If I uncheck VT-x then they boot just fine, but then it's running very slow. With build 4124 I did not have this problem.

I first tried to do an upgrade from 4124, then i tried to uninstall and then reinstall 4128. I also tried to do a clean OS X install and 4128 as only other application, but no luck, same problem.

I managed to load Vista and NT4.0 successfully with VT-x checked though. Vista is very slow. There was supposed to be some 3D support? I wouldn't want to try that, hehe.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  2. brkirch

brkirch Pro

How much RAM do you have assigned for your VM and how much do you have in your MacBook Pro? You don't want to assign to much RAM to Windows or you will experience slow downs like you are describing. If your computer doesn't have enough RAM it could also be contributing to your problems with VT-x support.

Edit: It looks like less than 2GB isn't even an option for the MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. So unless you have the VM's RAM set up all the way I doubt that you could have a problem. Try restarting your computer if you haven't already.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  3. sniken

sniken Bit poster

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've assigned 512MB RAM for Windows 2000/XP and I got 2GB of physical RAM.

4. sniken

sniken Bit poster

I have tried more than just a simple reboot. Even a fresh clean install of OS X and build 4128 did not help.

5. sniken

sniken Bit poster

Hmm, I uninstalled 4128 and reinstalled 3188 and i got the same problems. Is my CPU faulty?

6. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Try these instructions. If you still have no luck getting VT-x support working you can try resetting NVRAM, resetting SMC, and looking at the Console logs to see if there are any error messages when the Parallels Hypervisor attempts to load.

7. sniken

sniken Bit poster

Thanks for the links.

It doesn't give errors. The virtual machine does not seem to have locked completely. When i tried to install XP again with VT-x on i got to about the middle of the progress bar for driver install when it refused to continue, but the mouse pointer was still responding. With VT-x off the install went smooth.

Vista would be OK to use even with the sound stutter if it wasn't for the screen tearing. In coherence mode it is unbearably slow moving a window. I don't know how people can even play games in Parallels. I get a feeling that my Mac is too slow, but everything in OS X works just fine, also games.