Build 5584 + 10.5.2 Launch hangs if incoming Apple Remote Desktop connection active

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by elemental, Feb 18, 2008.

1. elemental

elemental Bit poster

I wanted to post this thread to let people know about this issue...

If you are using Apple Remote Desktop to connect to a computer which has Parallels 5584 installed along with Leopard 10.5.2 + Leopard Graphics update, Parallels will hang when you attempt to launch it on that remote computer.

I discovered this thread while searching on my problem and found that another user had determined another screen sharing program had caused identical hanging problems.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=97608

Thankfully you are able to reconnect via Apple Remote Desktop once Parallels has finished launching. But you cannot launch Parallels while the Apple Remote Desktop connection is in place.

Weird!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Elemental,

Thank you for your report. Our engineers are going to reproduce the issue.

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. nedkonz

nedkonz Bit poster

Yes, I just noticed this on my Mac Mini...

4. davesmall

davesmall Bit poster

I was unable to launch Parallels Build 5584 + 10.5.2. Parallels would hang, my entire computer would bog down as if some intensive process was running, and I would have to force quit. I did an uninstall, deleted library files, repaired permissions, and reinstalled all to no avail.

After reading this thread I thought perhaps an old version of Timbuktu might be the problem. Timbuktu is a remote access application. I launched Timbuktu and changed the preferences to permit access only when the Timbuktu application is running. That fixed the problem and enabled me to launch Parallels.

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dave, thank you very much for the provided information. I have delivered it to Parallels developers.

Best regards,
    Xenos

6. davesmall

davesmall Bit poster

The real culprit was Copy/Paste

As it turned out, Timbuktu settings were not the real culprit here as the problem did return.

After much experimentation I discovered that Parallels would launch OK after a computer restart and before other applications were launched. However, it would hang if I tried to launch with my usual applications running.

I finally tracked down the real culprit by starting each of my usual applications one at a time until the problem recurred

The problem turned out to be with CopyPaste version 2.7.5. If it was running before launching Parallels then Parallels would hang upon launch. This did not happen until after upgrading Mac OS X to Leopard version 10.5

The solution was to download and install the new CopyPaste Pro.

7. aufoisaw

aufoisaw Bit poster

I encountered the same or very similar problem. Parallels Desktop 3.0 (build 5608) with Leopard 10.5.4, remote connecting using VNC Vine Server 3.0. I used to be able to launch Parallels Desktop from a VNC connection, but maybe that was Mac OS X Tiger, I don't recall exactly. Now Parallels and my VNC session hang on launch of Parallels Desktop.

To work around the problem, I connect via an SSH terminal session.
    1) Reboot with "shutdown -r now"
    2) Reconnect with SSH terminal
    3) Run 'open -a "Parallels Desktop"'
    4) Connect via VNC

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008