"C Drive" icon on Mac desktop?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mxgreen, Feb 25, 2008.

1. mxgreen

mxgreen Bit poster

Sorry in advance if this question is really weak. I am a solo attorney. When my Dell PC recently died I made the switch to Mac. I bought Parallels to run my time/billing program and to access my old (voluminous) WordPerfect documents. I frequently find myself wanting to use an old WordPerfect document. Converting it to Word is easy. However, getting it from my "virtual machine" to my Mac based Word program is the hard part. I don't know why, but every now and then a "C Drive" icon (for the virtual machine) appears on my Mac desktop. When it does it is very easy to access the documents I converted from WordPerfect to Word. The problem is the icon comes and goes. I do not know what it is that I am doing to make it appear and disappear. I would like to be permanently on my Mac desktop. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
    Mike Greenwald
    Hollywood, Florida

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Mike,

C: drive is mounted on your Mac desktop when Guest OS is running and it goes away when you shut down Windows.

What exactly are you disappointed by? Do you need the drive when the VM is not running?

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. mxgreen

mxgreen Bit poster

Xenos -

Thanks for responding. Generally, I close the VM without shutting down Windows. After reading your response I shut down Windows, then reopened it and - voila! - there is the C drive. So now I know how to make the C drive appear. Thanks.

That leads me to my second issue. For some reason my printer - Lexmark E250dn - goes offline frequently when I switch between Mac programs and Parallels. For that reason I do not leave my VM running, but close it everytime I am done working with my time/billing program or WordPerfect. Do you know what is causing the printer to go offline and how can I prevent it from going offline?

Thanks,
    Mike Greenwald
    Hollywood, Florida

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Mike, your printer can go offline when you shut down Windows if it is connected to VM directly through USB.

Did you try to set printer through Parallel Port?

Alternatively you can disconnect your printer each time you are going to shut down Windows (Parallels Desktop menu bar -> Devices).

Or change printer's drivers settings.

Best regards,
    Xenos