CAD runs slow, occasional freezes when accessing files

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by StoyanH, Feb 21, 2023.

1. StoyanH

StoyanH Bit poster

Setup:
    I've been running Parallels Pro for over a year on a fully loaded Mac Studio with M1 Ultra. Optimization is set to 'no limit'. I've tried 'Automatic' for CPU & Memory and I've been running 8 CPUs and 20GB allocation more recently. Windows settings are also set to high performance.

Issues:

1. Parallels performance has been disappointing running Siemens NX (CAD software) on Windows 11. Same software with same 3D parts runs a lot better on a sub $2000 Dell.
    2. Graphics look weird in NX. Lines look jagged like there's no aliasing.
    3. Occasionally, Parallels freezes completely when trying to pull up a folder or transfer a file from Mac to Windows desktop.

I'm curious if there are any optimizations I'm missing. I'm just about ready to look for a different solution. Any feedback is appreciated.

2. StoyanH

StoyanH Bit poster

Bump. Any ideas?

3. MikeH27

MikeH27 Junior Member

So, you're Intel only, Windows based, non ARM optimized CAD program runs poorly through several layers of translation?

Shocked Pikachu. Either bug them to support ARM Windows, or go buy a PC. Be glad the thing even runs. If you need more performance, sure. Get a proper PC. Stop trying to jam a round peg through a square hole.

4. MikeH27

MikeH27 Junior Member

*your

5. StoyanH

StoyanH Bit poster

Thanks for the mature reply that only addresses one of the items I listed.

6. MikeH27

MikeH27 Junior Member

Well, you're the one whining your specialized CAD app runs like crap under multiple layers of emulation/translation what do you expect.

7. StoyanH

StoyanH Bit poster

Let me remind you this is a paid product that actually has a CAD mode. It's advertised without exceptions and I'm even paying for the Pro version to get the most out of it. I don't need to be thankful for anything as a customer, since I'm paying for this to run as well as it can. CAD performance aside, I have other issues I'd love to get some help but clearly this forum is useless. Get off your high horse.

8. JulianG2

JulianG2 Bit poster

Hi StoyanH,
    I used Siemens NX professionally, without any problems and with excellent performance, over Parallels on my Macbook Pro for years...... until Intel went away. Hopes aside that Siemens someday brings NX to Apple Silicon:
    Until that I bought a M1 Max and have been using NX running on a HP Workstation, but accessing it (LAN or WAN) via ZCentral.
    It works really well and its a very versatile setup allowing you to keep macOS as a day-to-day OS and still use NX as CAD.