Calling XP command line from OSX/Unix

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dtempleton, Oct 25, 2006.

1. dtempleton

dtempleton Junior Member

We got Parallels mainly to run one scientific application. Bravo, it works. Thanks

However, we really need to automate some processes, some of which are Unix and which we know how to automate, and some run from the windows command line.

It seems that it should be possible to use the Unix layer to send Windows command line instructions to the windows side, and to then retrieve the result again from the Unix side.

Has anyone figured out how to do this?

Thanks

Dennis

2. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

3. dtempleton

dtempleton Junior Member

Thanks! This link lead me to investigate some other options for Windows SSH server, and I think this one is the simplest, and it looks pretty powerful (its copSSH):
    http://www.itefix.no/phpws/index.php?module=announce&ANN_user_op=view&ANN_id=77

I think my question was actually two fold: the SSH server (which seems solved) and the best way for 'in machine' networking. I really don't need the PC side open to the network, but want to be able to call it from the mac side. Is there a way to call the windows through an IP connection, like 127.0.0.1?

Thanks

4. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

With host only networking enabled, you will be able to tunnel in to the VM using a numerical IP address. You can either let the Parallels DHCP Server assign the VM an address, in which case you will have to look in the network configuration to see what it is, or you can just set an address in the VM manually, just make sure it is in the range that is specified in the Parallels DHCP preferences.

Also, make sure you have the Windows firewall set to allow ssh login. And please let us know how copSSH works out for you. Are you only doing command line stuff, or will you be interacting with X-windows too?