Can a coworker use my Parallels VM over the Web with Parallels RAS?

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by tomcam, Sep 27, 2019.

1. tomcam

tomcam Junior Member

Have read the sales literature and FAQ. Still don't quite understand if Parallels RAS is what I need. Situation is:
    • I have inherited a Windows codebase. I'm a Mac user.
    • The codebase lives in a Parallels VM. It's a web application in C# and ancient ASP. The VM includes a copy of Windows Server 2008, Visual Studio 2010, and Visual Studio 2015. I have licensed everything, obviously.
    • I would like my remote coworker to be able to use my VM over the net on some kind of server. (It would be much better if Parallels ran under Windows so I could just hand him the VM--I know, I know, virtualizing Windows under Windows, but trust me, this app is mission critical but very, very crufty.)
    Is the solution then to use Parallels RAS? Is it like Microsoft RAS, where he could log in over the net and do development work on the VM as if it's his own machine?

If Parallels RAS is the right solution, can it be installed on Azure or AWS or something so it would be faster and more reliable, or am I stuck running it using my home machine as the server?

2. Eugene. K.

Eugene. K. Parallels Team

I'm afraid there is no way to run your Parallels Desktop VM anywhere besides Mac and Parallels RAS (Remote Access Server) can not do that as well.
    But I would suggest Parallels Access: https://www.parallels.com/eu/products/access/ as a solution for remote connection to your Parallels VM from any place.

3. tomcam

tomcam Junior Member

Thank you! Can you tell me the most reliable way to run it, e.g., is it feasible to install this on a cloud service like AWS so I don't have to use my home server over cable internet?