Can a Fusion Intel Windows 10 VM be Imported & run on Parallels on M2 Mac?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DonD9, Apr 23, 2023.

1. DonD9

DonD9 Bit poster

I have a Fusion based Windows 10 (Intel) VM that works well. Would I be able to import this VM and run on Parallels? Would this work if Parallels is installed on a M2 MBP? While I am clear that an Intel VM will not run at all on an ARM based MBP, was not clear if Parallels would allow this. If this is possible and the VM would import and run on Parallels on an M2 Mac, would then be able to move and run it on an Intel based MBP? Pretty sure I know this answer will no but again seems like Parallels works differently from Fusion so just wanting to make sure I understand my limitations if I move to Parallels.

To put in context, I currently use the 2nd MBP as backup hardware in the change the primary MBP was compromised. So being able to run the Windows 10 Intel VM on either MBP provide that backup protection. Thanks all.

2. Ashley Chumun

Ashley Chumun Staff Member

Hello Don,
    Thank you for your feedback.
    Unfortunately, Fusion-based Intel virtual machines cannot run on Parallels Desktop on M2 Mac due to the architectural differences between Intel and ARM.
    In a virtual machine on a Mac with an M2 chip, it is currently possible to run only Windows ARM -- the Windows version for processors with ARM architecture.
    However, you can transfer data between your fusion-based intel virtual machine to an ARM-based virtual machine. (More details can be found in the article https://kb.parallels.com/en/125344)
    Thank you!