Can a VM Be Dual Boot?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Frederic Puhan, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Frederic Puhan

Frederic Puhan Member

As a proof of concept, I would like to create a single Parallels (Desktop for Mac 10) virtual machine and have it dual boot into two different Linux distributions.
    The distros I am targeting are Simplicity Linux and Peppermint OS. Both are Ubuntu derivatives, but each has different features. If I am able to do this, I will then do a dual-boot install onto an old netbook computer I have.

I am able to install either distro, but I can't find how to make the installed distro recognize the .ISO file. On a PC platform, one interrupts the boot process at the BIOS level to specify the boot device. I can't seem to do this in Parallels.

I may not have phrased the question properly, but I think I've given the gist of my query. To recap: Is there a way to install two Linux distros onto a single Parallels virtual machine and then be able to choose from the GRUB menu when it boots?

Thanks!

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You haven't looked hard enough...

Configure > Hardware > Boot Order

There are a number of reasons why it doesn't make sense to have dual boot vms (both OSs can't be running at the same time, one of the OS type might not match the one in configure, etc ... ), but it's possible anyway.