Can I allocate more than 2GB of RAM for a VM?

wgpubs

Bit poster
Hi there,

I have a MBP with 4GB of RAM with a Windows Server 2008 VM. Parallels only allows me to allocate up to 2 GBs of RAM for the VM ... whereas, ideally, I'd like to allocate 3 GB in this particular case.

Is there any way to do this?

Is an update perhaps on the horizon that would allow this?

Or ... is this just the way it is. If so, an explanation might be helpful.

Thanks - wayde
 
8GB per VM!? Start the presses! That is like officially saying next Parallels desktop for Mac will finnally support 64bit guest OSes. ;>

(Since Parallels Server for Mac already supports 64bit guest OSes it was only a matter of time anyway, it is also obvious for me that next release will support more than one CPU per VM).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Vmware has a new beta out......

Wow - thanks for mentioning that. I spent all of Sunday reading about VMWare, Xen, KVM, and Parallels, and I remember thinking "Hey, shouldn't Fusion have a new beta by now?"

It looks pretty impressive - and just in time, since I'm now hitting the "your Mac has too much memory" bug in Parallels, and (of course) I got no reply from Parallels support. Off I go to try Fusion.
 
8GB per VM!? Start the presses! That is like officially saying next Parallels desktop for Mac will finnally support 64bit guest OSes. ;>

Next major release of Parallels Desktop will support 64-bit guests, virtual SMP, 8GB of memory for guests. These features are mandatory.
 
The features that Parallels has marked as "mandatory" are quite impressive… and necessary. They are apparently listening to our needs.
 
Back
Top