Can I back up and restore my Windows 10 Parallels in bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Grover65, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Grover65

Grover65 Bit poster

Hello,

I currently use parallels desktop 14 to run Windows 10 on my Mac. It works pretty well except when I need to use more of my system resources in windows. So I've decided I need to go back to bootcamp... I'm hoping there is some way to back up the Windows 10 I currently have in parallels and restore it in bootcamp so that I don't have to start from scratch and figure out all the license keys I currently use. Then I can use bootcamp as well as parallels.

Has anyone been able to do this successfully? I'm running the most up-to-date macOS Mojave as well as Windows 10 and Parallels 14.

I really appreciate the help here. I searched through the forums and only saw a few posts about this in the early 2000's.

Thanks again,

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @Grover65 , please make sure that you have kept the RAM and Graphics allocation within the recommended range in the Windows virtual machine.

3. Grover65

Grover65 Bit poster

Hi Arun, Thanks for the reply. I have made sure that the RAM and Graphics are within the recommended range. My Mac only has 8gb of RAM so I think it gets eaten up quickly especially when trying to play games in windows (even in game mode).

4. You can configure the BootCamp partition as a virtual machine using Parallels Desktop for Mac. However, the vice versa is not possible.

5. Since you have only 8GB of RAM on the Mac, you can allocate only 4GB to the Windows virtual machine and the performance will be affected if you try to run the programs which require more than 4GB RAM. Hence, you need to upgrade the RAM on the Mac so that you can allocate more resources for the virtual machine for better performance.