G'Day!
I recently bought a second MacBook (for my wife) and she needs to run Windows on that machine as I do on mine. She also needs the same Windows applications and data files. So rather than install XP on her machine from scratch and reinstall all the apps and other essential files, I simply copied my virtual XP hard drive to her system (using Apple's Migration Assistant).
Now when I start Parallels Desktop (4.0) on that new machine and link it to that virtual hard drive, I get a Windows error relating to activation. This is not at all surprising, as the new machine's configuration is different than the one on which it was first activated. Even if XP had perceived the two systems to be the same and thus allowed the OS to run on both systems, I suspect that it would not run on both systems at the same time (they're on the same network), yet we often need both systems to be using Windows at the same time.
With that intro, here's the question that I hope someone on the forums can answer for me: I have purchased another copy of XP (with a new activation code, of course). Is there a way to reactivate the copy of XP on that new system with the new code, short of re-installing from scratch? If so, what's the process?
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
I recently bought a second MacBook (for my wife) and she needs to run Windows on that machine as I do on mine. She also needs the same Windows applications and data files. So rather than install XP on her machine from scratch and reinstall all the apps and other essential files, I simply copied my virtual XP hard drive to her system (using Apple's Migration Assistant).
Now when I start Parallels Desktop (4.0) on that new machine and link it to that virtual hard drive, I get a Windows error relating to activation. This is not at all surprising, as the new machine's configuration is different than the one on which it was first activated. Even if XP had perceived the two systems to be the same and thus allowed the OS to run on both systems, I suspect that it would not run on both systems at the same time (they're on the same network), yet we often need both systems to be using Windows at the same time.
With that intro, here's the question that I hope someone on the forums can answer for me: I have purchased another copy of XP (with a new activation code, of course). Is there a way to reactivate the copy of XP on that new system with the new code, short of re-installing from scratch? If so, what's the process?
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.