Can I run both most recent Windows version and Mac OS 10.14.6 on an M1 Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by GeraldG, Jul 31, 2021.

1. GeraldG

GeraldG Bit poster

I need to upgrade a 2013 MacPro. Due to lack of availability of a new reasonably price Mac Pro I am looking at an M1 Mac Mini. But due to software needs I require Mojave to run I am trying to determine if it can be run on an M1 MacMini.
    Can I run both most recent Windows version and Mac OS 10.14.6 on an M1 Mac Mini?

2. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

An M1 Mac Mini will not run Mojave. Only Big Sur (and Monterey when it is released). One option is to look at buying the latest version of an Intel Mac Mini. Then run Parallels or VMware Fusion so you can run Windows 10 or 11. Others on this forum may have suggestions too.

3. GeraldG

GeraldG Bit poster

Sorry, the question was badly written.
    I mentioned Windows and Mojave thinking (wrongly) that readers would automatically see where I was going. And, you did!
    Should have said...
    Using an M1 MacMini running a new version of Parallels and the newest Mac OS will I be able to run both the most recent version of Windows and Mac OS 10.14.6 which I need to use 2 pieces of Mac software more than once per month.?

4. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

No worries. This is a common question on this forum. The answer is still no, and my answer still holds true. Parallels cannot (yet) virtualize x86-only operating systems (e.g. Mojave). You can only virtualize (and that too with caveats) Arm-supported operating systems (e.g., Windows on Arm in developer/preview mode, certain Linux distributions provided they support the page size etc.).

5. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

BTW, you should look into the UTM App available in the MacOS App Store for $9.99. Not sure if it can virtualized Mojave. It uses QEMU under the covers and can virtualize x86 VMs, but with limitations.

6. GeraldG

GeraldG Bit poster

That makes a lot of sense to me.
    Thank you so much!!