Can I run Windows 11 on Parallels 17 on a late 2013 iMac running "BigSur for Unsupported Macs"?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DavidB130, May 20, 2022.

1. DavidB130

DavidB130 Bit poster

Hi Parallel People.
    I have a late 2013 iMac. Over the years I have updated my Parallels installation regularly and I currently run Parallels 15 and Windows 10.
    My iMac WAS running Catalina, but I found that I could actually run an unofficial update to BIG SUR (OS 11.5)
    I have tried Windows 11 and I like it.
    If I spend money to upgrade my Parallels to the latest v17 version, will I be able to run Windows 11 on it?
    The iMac has loads of RAM (32Gb) so resources are not an issue, it's just that I did read somewhere on Microsoft's site that a computer needed to be 2016 or later to run Windows 11. So does that also apply to an iMac running a very recent Mac OS and the latest Parallels?
    I just don't want to waste the money upgrading if it's not going to work.
    Thank you!

2. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello DavidB130, Please refer to the knowledge base article to know about the system requirements for windows 11. Thanks.

3. DavidB130

DavidB130 Bit poster

Thank you for your response.
    However, it doesn't actually solve my problem. I was hoping for an assurance that Windows 11 would work on Parallels 17 on a late 2013 3.5Ghz 32Gb 3Tb iMac. It happens to be running 'an unlocked version of Big Sur for unsupported Macs' but I could always revert it to Catalina if that helps.
    What I don't want to do is buy P17 and then find out that the age of the computer meant it was never going to work anyway.
    So if there is no categorical answer, please could you check the spec of the machine and let me know your best estimate? Thank you.

4. DavidB130

DavidB130 Bit poster

It worked. I am successfully running Windows 11 on Parallels 17 on a 2013 iMac.