Can I use Microsoft Office 365 with Parallels/Windows7Pro?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by DavidA4, Jan 17, 2019.

1. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

I recently purchased Microsoft Office 365 to use with Parallels/Windows 7 Pro. Although I have this installed on the VM and I can open these Microsoft Office applications I find that I must sign in every time I open the app (sign in through the Word/Excel/etc.). Additionally, the app requires that I setup file associations each and very time I open a Microsoft Office app. And, furthermore, when I sign into the account.microsoft.com area - I do not see the VM Parallels/Windows7Pro as a "Device" (as I do with a dedicated windows machine). So, there's some kind of problem associated with using Microsoft Office 365 with a virtual machine - it would seem.

Anyway, the first order question is this:

Can I use Microsoft Office 365 with Parallels/Windows7Pro?

2. KebhaK@Parallels

KebhaK@Parallels Hunter

Hi @DavidA4 , You can use Office 365 with Windows 7 professional please follow steps in this article and then check the issue.

3. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

1) I don't see how isolating my Windows VM from the Mac OS will be related to anything. Care to share the thought process here?
    2) I rely on using Mac directories from within the Window VM
    3) Office 365 works on my old VM - but not the newly created VM (not isolated - but has other issues requiring a new VM)

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Isolating Windows will disable all sharing between guest and host OS. Refer to this article and check.

5. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

I don't believe you understand the problem.

6. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We understood the problem. My previous reply is the explanation why we need to isolate Windows and check. Also, as you have mentioned Office 365 works fine on an old VM confirms the issue is with the new VM, not Parallels Desktop. You can uninstall Office 365, isolate Windows, reinstall Office and disable isolation then check if the issue persists.

7. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

I've already done this and the problem continues to persist. =(

8. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

After isolating Windows from the Mac, uninstalling and reinstalling Office 365 - the problem persisted. Next, I tried creating a completely new VM. But, that too, does not work. So, it seems it's pretty iffy for Office 365 to work properly on Parallels.

I created a YouTube video showing the issue:

9. Hi @DavidA4 ,
    I've found these steps for the "every time sing in" issue resolution, please try the following:

1. Go to Start -> type Control Panel in search bar.
    2. Go to User Accounts and Family Safety -> Click on User Accounts.
    3. In the left pane, click Manage your credentials.
    4. Now look for the live account ID and password (Microsoft Account) in the credential manager and remove it and restart the computer.
    Let us know does it work for you on not.

10. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

Now I can't UN-ISOLATE the VM. It never ends. You try to solve problem A, follow the advice given only to create problem B. Well, I can't continue until this VM ISN'T ISOLATED ANYMORE.

Yes, I unchecked "Isolate Windows from Mac" and restarted the machine (several times) - that's a given in this context.

11. Ok, then please try to quit Parallels Desktop app -> restart your Mac -> then start Parallels Desktop again, start your VM and try to un-isolate it one more time.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  12. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

Reinstalling Tools seemed to fix the isolation problem.

Following these instructions didn't work.
    1. Go to Start -> type Control Panel in search bar.
    2. Go to User Accounts and Family Safety -> Click on User Accounts.
    3. In the left pane, click Manage your credentials.
    4. Now look for the live account ID and password (Microsoft Account) in the credential manager and remove it and restart the computer.

Here's the YouTube video showing what I had (there wasn't a "live account ID" )

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  13. @DavidA4 I've also found this article about the MS Office issue.
    Please check the article and instructions from it below:

This issue can occur if the registry settings have been corrupted.

First off, try to repair your Office installation (you've already did it, right?)
    Solution 1 (Registry Mod):
    Run regedit and navigate to:
    HKEY-CURRENT-USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options
    Add a new DWORD entry named NoRereg with a value of 1.
    Repeat for Excel.
    This will work when multiple versions of Office are installed, as well as when only one version is installed.

Solution 2 (Program Files Mod):
    Navigate to the following folder:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\Office Setup Controller\
    Rename SETUP.EXE to anything else, e.g SETUP_diabled.EXE.
    This will only work for the case where one version of Office is installed.

David, please take a snapshot before performing these instructions (actions -> take a snapshot)
    If these steps will not work for you, you will be able to revert to previous snapshot and also all of your previous settings will revert too.

And provide us with any results.

14. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

There is nothing to repair - both the VM and Office 365 have been installed hours ago and never used. I've been installing and uninstalling this trash for two weeks now.

And, it's Office 16 - not 12 (that was a very long time ago)

15. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

This doesn't exist (you're reading dated material)
    HKEY-CURRENT-USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options

16. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

And this is NOT corrupt. I installed the new VM on Sunday - one day ago (see first video in this thread). There's NOTHING on that VM EXCEPT Chrome and Office 365. The problem is something else.

The fact that there's no credentials in the credential manger is a BIG CLUE. Again, THIS IS NOT CORRUPT. I'VE BEEN INSTALLING AND REINSTALLING ALL THIS RUBBISH FOR TWO WEEKS NOW. OFFICE 365 JUST DOESN'T WORK.

17. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

More clues. These seem to be missing (when comparing to a machine that has a working copy of Office 365)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Word\Options
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Word\Recent Templates\LiveId_<very long hexadecimal here>

18. I understand your dissatisfaction, but sometimes previous issues (from previous versions) reoccurs, that is why I suggested this article to you.
    In order to continue investigation please reproduce the issue and right after that generate the problem report using this KB article.
    Please reply us back with the report ID

19. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

Okay

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  20. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

I have to wonder if using the same Windows CD to create multiple Windows 7 machines could be the problem.

Long story, but I decided to migrate my three year old Windows 7 to another machine. The idea was to create a second running copy of Windows 7 (from the same CD), then migrate and then delete the old copy of Windows 7. This is all on a VM - on the same physical computer - so I don't want redundant copies of Windows.

Then the whole "can't sign into Office 365" issue reared its ugly head - and that lead to a third copy of Windows 7 to be created - from the same CD - for troubleshooting purposes.

Anyway, so the theory is that you can't run Office 365 on copies of Windows that shouldn't exist (using the same CD to crate multiple Win 7 machines).