Can I use Microsoft Office 365 with Parallels/Windows7Pro?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by DavidA4, Jan 17, 2019.

1. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

The troubleshooting guide you're reading from isn't going to help. This problem has something to do with Office 365 not installing properly. No, it isn't corrupt, get that thought out of your mind already. I'd say more of a bug with the installer - but not corrupt. The fact that I have no live ID is a HUGE clue. I don't think it's Parallels.

I have three Windows 7 VMs all created (inadvertently) from the same Windows CD. Only the original Windows 7 VM was able to obtain a live ID for Office 365 - the other VERY new VMs do not have the live ID.

I have to wonder if there's a way to deactivate the old Windows 7 machines.

2. @DavidA4 thank a lot for your reply. Anyway, I'll continue my investigation (now will check all articles clearly) and once I get any applicable scenario, I'll let you know.

3. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

report ID 297121260

4. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

2nd report ID 297121946

5. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

Installing IE 11 fixed the problem. I can sign into Office 365 now.
    With Windows 7 you need to install IE 11 for Office 365 to setup whatever it needs to setup to function properly.

It would have been nice if Microsoft had simply stated this simple fact two weeks ago while I was on the phone with them for over two hours - on the FIRST support phone call. I must have called Microsoft support at least 3 to 4 times during the last two weeks (including today's phone call that lasted an hour). In total, I spent HOURS (definitely over three hours) on the phone with Microsoft, yet it wasn't until today that someone finally knew that, with Windows 7, you MUST install IE 11. Windows 7 came with IE 8.

I mean, yeah, I'm happy this can be put behind me - but, still, the overtones of agitation spoil it for me. First off, the installer should have installed IE 11 or, at the very least, informed the user that IE11 is required. Second, Microsoft Support should KNOW this. It took over three hours of continuous phone support over a two week time period just to be able to sign into Microsoft Office 365. Ridiculous.

So, my hunch was correct. Nothing was corrupt and Parallels is fine - it's a bug with Microsoft's Office 365 - complicated by hours on a merry-go-round with Microsoft.

Well, at the least - I hope this helps someone in a similar situation.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    NitinG and Maria@Parallels like this.
  6. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

I made a YouTube video showing how to fix this

7. NitinG

NitinG Bit poster

@DavidA4, thanks for the solution. I was facing the same situation and it was quite frustrating. Not sure why IE11 is required to sign into my Office account but installing that seem to have fixed my problem. Kudos to you!

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  8. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

@NitinG - I'm glad my effort helped someone else. I'm guessing that since Windows 7 will no longer be supported at some point - Microsoft isn't bothering with informing users that IE 11 must be installed in order to use Office 365 with Windows 7. Maybe that happens to be a convenient way for Microsoft to gently push users to Windows 10.