Can not add a second internal physical ssd to parallels 13 as Boot Camp HDD

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ViS, Feb 12, 2018.

1. ViS

ViS Junior Member

I have a Mac with two 2TB SSD. The first SSD is for macOS Hight Sierra and virtual Windows 10 system with Parallels 13.
    The Windows 10 OS works perfekt. Now I am trying to add the second ssd as Boot Camp HDD to the virtual system. The problem is, that the second SSD is not seen as Boot Camp HDD in parallels settings.
    I have the same configuration on another Mac with two 500GB SSD and Parallels 11. This configuration works and I can see the second SSD as Boot Camp HDD.

What is the issue? Why I cannot add the second SSD as Boot Camp HDD?

2. ViS

ViS Junior Member

3. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

ViS, thank you for your message. This "feature" was not tested and not supported by Parallels Desktop. It worked just AS IS without any guarantee. We met too many complains about it and fixed the issue when non-Bootcamp disks or partitions were treated as bootable drive.

4. ViS

ViS Junior Member

I am not speaking about a bootable drive. I am speaking about second or third physical hard drive or ssd.
    I worked with several hard drives for three years with Parallels Desktop without any problems. Now after update to 13 it is not possible anymore. I do not want to share the drive and use it like network drive. I want to see and use the hard disk as a hard disk.

5. ViS

ViS Junior Member

And do not tell me, that "this feature was not tested and not supported by Parallels Desktop":

1:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/122622
    Resolution
    1. Start Parallels Desktop but do not start Virtual Machine.
    2. Go to Virtual Machine > Configure > Hardware Tab.
    3. Click on '+' sign and add new Hard Disk:
      • Type: Boot Camp
    2:
    http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v12/docs/ko_KR/Parallels Desktop User's Guide/33140.htm
    In the Source field, the virtual hard disk file (.hdd) that emulates the virtual machine hard disk is specified. You can change the hard disk source:
    • To use the Boot Camp partition as the virtual machine hard disk, click the Source field and select the Boot Camp partition name from the list.
    • To use a virtual hard disk file as the virtual machine hard disk, click the Source field and choose the virtual hard disk file from the list, or click Choose an image file and specify the path to the desired image file (.hdd) on your Mac.

6. ViS

ViS Junior Member

And finally the Parallels Desktop 13 User's Guide (http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v13/docs/en_US/Parallels Desktop User's Guide.pdf)
    Page 160:
    6 If you selected any device except for a hard disk, the corresponding device with a typical configuration is added at once and ready for use.
    If you selected a hard disk, you should specify some parameters:
    • The hard disk type: a new image file or an existing one. Select Boot Camp if you want to add an existing Boot Camp partition as a hard disk to your virtual machine.
    • The hard disk location. Provide the path on your Mac to the existing image file or the path and name for the new image file. By default, Parallels Desktop offers to save the new image file in the virtual machine PVM bundle.

Page 162:
    Boot Camp Partitions
    With Parallels Desktop, you can choose how to use your Boot Camp Windows XP (or later) operating system: to boot in it natively (via Boot Camp) or in a virtual machine (via Parallels Desktop). A Boot Camp Windows partition can be used as a bootable disk or as a data disk in Parallels virtual machines.

----
    I expect this feature to work again with the next update. This feature has always been described and was not a bug!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  7. alexg

ViS, we are supporting BootCamp partition made by Apple Bootcamp Assistant utility only.

8. ViS

ViS Junior Member

And this is not working with Parallels Deasktop 13. It works with 11 and 12.

9. alexg

ViS, did you install Windows on an external drive using Apple's Bootcamp Installation Assistant?

10. ViS

ViS Junior Member

Sorry, but this disscusion is just stupid. It does not matter if Windows is installed or not. In all versions prior to 13, hard disks formatted for Windows could be added as hard disks. The manual also say that it works. There is not a word that Windows must be installed on it.
    I got my money back for version 13 and switch to other software.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  11. MatthewK4

MatthewK4 Bit poster

Hi,
    I have the same problem as Vis. I was also previously able to add a second hard drive and use it successfully and had pretty much the same setup. Has this bug been fixed yet? As a long time Parallels user how can I get my money back?

Thank you.