Can OS/2 1.x be run under Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by martini, Apr 8, 2006.

1. martini

martini Bit poster

I found that many Virtual Desktop software can not run OS/2 1.x versions and older versions of PC-DOS and MS-DOS. It seems to be an old PC emulation that donsen't have to much use emulating them, but can it be run OS/2 1.2 and 1.3 for educational/investigation/historical porpuses ?

I know that Warp 3, Warp 4 and eComStation runs under it.

Thanks
    Martin

2. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

The status of OS/2 1.x is unknown - we've never tried to boot it in our virtual environment. You surely can try to boot it as 'os/2 guest' but noone can promise you the result.
    Anyway, it would be very interesting to know about the results of it.

3. martini

martini Bit poster

Yes, I mean booting OS2 1.x as guest enviroment. I haven't had any luck with Parallels Workstation 2.1. The first disk image boots on 1.2 and 1.3 and later it crash giving an OS/2 trap error. TRAP 0000.

Martin

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

OS/2 Warp 2 is not supported but should work. OS/2 Warp 3, 4, 4.5 are supported.

5. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Try using a smaller virtual drive - maybe something like 2gb. I got that error trying to use a large drive with Warp 3. Also I'm guessing here, but wasn't 1.x also DOS based like Win 3.1? If so try using the Win3.1 selection for OS type instead of OS/2.

6. conradc

conradc Bit poster

I have installed OS/2 ver 2.0 and it is working fine in VGA mode. Would be nice to have something better than VGA mode but I am working on it. As for OS/2 ver 1.x - I just don't have a copy to try it with. Must check on eBay, there may be a copy floating around somewhere.
    Conrad.