Cannot access VM Configuration

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by harvnicm, Aug 28, 2007.

1. harvnicm

harvnicm Bit poster

This may sound like a silly question but I have a virtual machine running Home xp. I cannot stop it and access the configuration menu to change virtual memory or edit shared folders and stuff like that. How do I overcome this problem. Because I cannot stop it I cannot even clone it.

Are their any solutions besides delete and reinstall ????

Thanks

2. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

hi,
    why you can't to stop VM? Necessary button unaccessable? You can just close Parallels Desktop it suspends VM automatically. Then startup PD and go to the edit VM configuration - you'll receive warning that before editing configuration it's necessary to stop VM - confirm VM stop there and do necessary changes at VM configuration.

3. harvnicm

harvnicm Bit poster

Some critical information I forgot

Sandro,

Yes I tried that but 1) When I start PD it goes straight into starting the virtual machine which precludes editing the vm config. I tried suspending using the stop button etc 2) When quitting the PD either suspend , pause or shutdown, it quits PD as well precluding being to edit the VM parameters.

I believe in handling it roughly (force quit etc ) I have possibly corrupted a parameter. I don't know how.

Nick

4. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

argh,
    now i undestand ;) You specified shutdown application on VM quit and startup it automatically on application run. As possible solution i can advice to edit VM configuration file manually.

If you don't know where configuration file places try to do follow:

Select Open from File menu group of PD there press Choose... - potentially dialog show you place where all your VMs placed. Remember it path and close Parallels Desktop.

Then through Finder for example open necessary VM configuration file (it'll be <path to VMs>/<VM name>/<VM name>.pvs) with some editor (TextEdit for example). Change keys "Start auto"/Autoshutdown values from 1 to 0.

5. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello!

Please read this article:
    How to access Configuration Editor and edit the virtual machine configuration.

Best regards,
    John

6. harvnicm

harvnicm Bit poster

Thanks for the help

Santos second response helped. But in future I now know that you command click on the VM icon.

Thanks

Nick