Cannot change Graphics Memory

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TH8, Feb 18, 2019.

1. TH8

TH8 Bit poster

I have a strange issue - I have replaced my HD on my Mac and restored from TimeMachine. All seemed to work fine until I wanted to start my Windows 10 VM in Parallels (v12). The VM has been in suspended mode and now when I start the VM it get an error message the graphics memory needs to be increased and immediately goes back to suspend mode. I went into the Parallels VM settings and saw that the graphics (video) memory is somehow set to 0.
    As the VM is in suspend mode I cannot change the memory allocation - which is normal. But as I cannot start the VM - because of of the wrong graphics memory setting I have now a deadlock situation.
    Question 1: Is the a way to brute force the VM to switch off?
    Question 2: If not, is there a configuration file which can change with and editor the graphics memory setting?

2. Hi, you can go to Actions -> and choose 'stop' option to stop VM.
    And then check the VM configuration and setup it for your needs.

Let me know if it's not that case, thanks.

3. TH8

TH8 Bit poster

No, this is not possible. The actions menu never appears and hence no way to stop the VM. If the start the VM from the suspend mode I immediately get the error message and then the VM goes back to suspend mode, and hence the actions menu never appears. As I wrote, it is a classical dead-lock situation. In my view this can only be resolved if I can manually edit a config file and increase the video memory size of the graphics card.

4. Ok, there is an option to stop VM without using "actions" menu. You can jusr right click on it and choose stop.

5. TH8

TH8 Bit poster

No, this is not working as well. If a VM is in suspended mode, the VM cannot be stopped either, as their is no pop-up for stopping or starting the VM. The only option is to continue the VM from the suspend mode, which then falls back to suspend mode - dead-lock. In the mean time I could fix it by editing the config.pvs file and change the value for VideoMemorySize to 512 or larger. This forced the VM to restart as there was a mismatch in the VideoMemorySize setting and now it is working again.
    As mentioned above if a VM is in suspend mode there is no way to "kill" or force a switch-off of the VM. If the VM cannot be started from suspend mode you seems to get into a dead-lock situation. This is true for Parallels 12 to 14. You may need to add a function to force to switch-off a suspended VM.
    As you see in the picture if a VM is in suspend mode you only have the option to continue ("Fortsetzen") the VM, but no way to stop a VM.

Attached Files:

6. MargaretG1

MargaretG1 Bit poster

How come right click method didn't worked?Actually some days before i was facing same problem.And i implemented right click method after counsulting my friend,so i m bit surprised.How it didn't worked in your system myschoolbucks

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Maria@Parallels likes this.