Cannot Configure macOS Monterey VM on Apple Silicon - Parallels V17

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by KevinB7, Nov 22, 2021.

1. KeithP4

KeithP4 Bit poster

Just to update this thread... I installed 18 on an M1 Ultra the day that it came out and still have the same issues. I cannot resolve networking issues, cut, copy, paste into the VM. Drag files into the VM, auto mount a local folder to get files into the VM or set any other configuration for Disk Size, CPU count or Memory. Since this is for work I can connect 1 File Server but not others and somebody was kind enough to give me a folder for file transfers. Which take forever. 45 minutes to transfer out and back. This should be close to immediate since the files are local. In short the Mac VM while snappy locally is next to useless since I can't work reasonably with it. Is there any ETA on this being fixed? Oh if this was for home I wouldn't have a work around. No file servers @ home.

2. KevinB7

KevinB7 Member

As I have noted, IMHO Parallels on M1 is not fit for purpose. Those with apps running on W11 Arm or Arm versions of linux find it quite adequate. For my use case, not so much. Having almost no functionality on the macOS side is both disappointing and annoying. I re-read the Parallels announcement and advertising material WRT the V18 release (specifically for macOS VMs) particularly with use on M1/Silicon and at best it's fanciful and at worst just complete BS. Whilst it probably does not directly tell porkies, it certainly obfuscates what can actually be done and what functionality is/isn't available (IMHO, YMMV etc etc etc).

BernardH likes this.
  3. Macintosh Rescue

Macintosh Rescue Member

I have discovered also that the Startup and Shutdown options don't work correctly either: I've been informed by Parallels Support that these options are not supported despite them appearing new configuration options. If you set Startup on Mac Startup prlctl list will show the virtual machine but somehow the virtual machine does not work and is completely inaccessible.

I'm guessing that Apple will kill the virtual machines a few host updates down the line in any case so this stuff is probably never going to be particularly useful.

4. KeithP4

KeithP4 Bit poster

JeffP17 and Oliver4200 like this.
  5. Oliver4200

Oliver4200 Bit poster

This is why I don't see a reason to upgrade to Parallels 18. I was pretty disappointed to find out they haven't improved macOS guest OS support on M1.

6. jungwonj

jungwonj Bit poster

Can't believe that I found a solution 'never'.
    So I bought a 'Beta' Software huh?
    If someone knows the law thing for this product and possible to claim a refund,
    please make a thread for this.
    God Can't Believe Still..

7. JeffP17

JeffP17 Bit poster

Thanks for this reference - it's a bit bizarre that having a config.ini on my M1 user desktop is somehow being used by the macOS Ventura Parallels VM, but hey, it works. (I really need to update the screen dimensions and couldn't find any options for this till I came across your post with the link.) (The KB doc references a config.ini in the '.macvm' file, which doesn't exist on a brand new macOS 13 VM ... using my real ~/Desktop/config.ini worked)

8. AleksandarP

AleksandarP Bit poster

I learned the hard way that Parallels 18 for ARM Macs is just a piece of junk...

JJVB likes this.
  9. KevinB7

KevinB7 Member

TBF, I went back and retried the latest version of Parallels and it is still, IMHO, garbage. There is however, a cohort who think it's fine because you can use Windows ARM (no good for me I need Dropbox and other client software that does not exist on ARM and I'm trying to test 'normal' windows so useless anyway), and LINUX works (I have no need for LINUX VM). You would think if they could get LINUX working the UNIX based macOS wouldn't be too hard, but no, it really is garbage.

My plan B is to get rid of my overly configured and very expensive MI 16" MacBook pro and replace it with an i9 Macbook Pro. We have since bought an M1 macMini for testing since Parallels is useless (and I don't want to use a $5k++ MacBook simply as a test machine). Yes I should have known that a Silicon device couldn't run the 'normal' intel based VMs, but hey....... After purchase of the M1 machine and Parallels, I at least though the Mac side could function as expected if using Silicon based VMs, but that is simply not the case. And even from a limited testing perspective, the WHOLE point of VMs is that you can have a clean base to Roll Back to, snapshots. It's a complete cluster from my use case perspective.