Cannot connect to FTP

dougwo

Junior Member
I am running Win XP in Parallels on my mac and am using shared networking. I cannot FTP out to the internet. I heard that this is because the FTP site cannot verify my IP address. When i try to switch to Bridged networking, Default adapter, my Win machine cannot connect to the internet. I have disabled the firewall. What else can I do?
 
Not the problem

I can see the internet and browse the web just fine. I have turned off firewall but every site I try to FTP to results in a 500 cannot connect error.
 
There's no reason for bridge network not to work in that situation for FTP if you followed that article all the way thru, there's something blocking something somewhere and only you have access to that information, that article is a powerful troubleshooting tool that about covers every possibility, nothing else I can do.

By the way, FTP error code 500 means the server for some reason did not accept the command, try switching to PASSIVE FTP, use this chart for troubleshooting ( http://kb.globalscape.com/KnowledgebaseArticle10142.aspx ).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bridged vs Shared

Are you saying shared networking won't work? That I must used bridged? I can try that... but with bridged I get no internet access whatsoever. And I did follow the article all the way through. I'll try again.
 
It should work with both, shared and bridged, the difference with bridged is that you get an ip in the same subnet as the Host (OS X) which might be easier for configuring routers and puts the guest and host at the same level, mind you that if you don't have DHCP enabled in your network you need to set an ip address for the guest manually, different from the host (ex: 192.168.1.101 for OSX, 192.168.1.102 for Windows). But I think the problem here is ACTIVE vs PASSIVE FTP, you should try setting your FTP program to PASSIVE.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks...

Unfortunately, I need to use a program that has built-in FTP and switching between passing and active isn't possible. I'll see if I can configure my FTP server to accept both and perhaps that will solve it.
 
ACTIVE FTP requires a so called command port to be open on the guest side (as opposed to passive which the command port has to be open on the server side), this command port sometimes isn't even a fixed port number, making it harder to configure. FTP has this archaic port implementation, unfortunately, this Active/passive thing in FTP is a known cause of many headaches :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top