Cannot connect to internet via USB UMTS modem

wvdheiden

Junior Member
Hi

I use Parallels (b5608) on my MBP 17'' 2.16GHz CoreDuo. I have Windows XP installed with SP3. I now have a USB stick modem that connects via UMTS. Drivers are installed in MAC OS.
My Parallels image cannott connect to th einternet via this stick. i can only choose "default connector" (which IMHO should be the stick) WiFi and builtin Ethernet.
Parallels NAt is green and has a 10.x IP address,
Parallels GUEST has a self-assigned IP.
In windows with ipconfig /all I aonly see a 169.x IP address. What do I do wrong?

thanks

Walter
 
Hi John

Thanks for you answer, although it is not what I wanted to hear....... Will there be another update for 3.x? (It is almost 5 months since the last one... pretty long time) Or are all resources fixed to 4.0?
 
may have similar issue?

I have a sierra wireless mini card (3G modem)

The modem works natively on my MB 2.16G, 10.4.11, build 5608 box just fine.

I've never been able to use the card for mac-side VPN. VPN on other interfaces works flawlessly. That is, I VPN in over say, wireless or wired on macside, and shared networking is then VPN'ed as well.

Up until recently, the VPN would not work with parallels running at all. I had to turn off en3 (ifconfig down). But I read somewhere that turning off IPv6 stopped that problem - which works. That is, turning off IPv6 of parallels-NAT and Host-guest allows the VPN to work at all.

Still however, when VPN is up macside, parallels no longer has connectivity beyond guest-OS interface (ping beyond that fails).

the network works fine with no VPN (that is, parallels can connect to anything visible on the Internet)

Is this the same problem?

Different issue? and if so, suggestions for sharing AT&T 3G + Cisco VPN to parallels?

thanks
 
I answered in another thread, the problem is that when USB wireless card is plugged, Internet probably is not accessible at all on Windows side, as Parallels interfaces are down, from card drivers
 
sorry - not true!

as long as there is no VPN, internet is fine on the mac side and in VM/windows ?!?

when VPN is brought up, somewhere in the chain of interfaces, connectivity is lost. It appears to me (educated guess) that one of the VM interfaces does NOT get reIP'ed by the VPN. ??!?

The way that VPN works (as I understand it) is that once the tunnel is up, VPN sw re-IPs or causes nic to DHCP to the tunneled network. DNS is reset, it is as though the VPN'ed nic is on the tunneled network. Certainly it is no longer on the originating network.

to my investigations, the VPN sw or parallels is not doing the re-IP/DHCP for the interfaces.

No matter how much I twiddle them, the parallels virtual interfaces remain on the network that they came up with. a windows re-ip ("repair") fails miserably.

Interestingly enough, this is only true for the mini card based networks. both wired and airport (wifi) networks handle this seamlessly. Not sure what's different?

is there some twiddle that I need to set on the mini card? Or one or both of the parallels interfaces to get them to do the right thing for this connection type (since it all works perfectly for the other 2 interfaces that I use)?

thanks
 
Back
Top