Cannot Connect To The Internet in Vista Running Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Reggie Byrum, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Reggie Byrum

Reggie Byrum Junior Member

I'm running a MacBook Pro, OS Version 10.4.11, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

Parallels Build 4.0.3844.

Was having a host of issues (won't run in Coherence, extremely slow, etc), but all issues seem to be resolved now.

My last remaining issue is that I cannot connect to the Internet in Vista. Mac side is fine, and I'm surfing like crazy.

Windows does not appear to find any network problems. All appearances show I'm connected to the Internet. Yet when I bring up Explorer, the web page cannot be displayed error. I have Windows to check the problem, and it comes back and says there does not appear to be a problem with my network connection.

I re-installed Parallels Tools and re-booted. No change.

Network Adapter under Configure shows "Connected" is checked, and "Shared Networking" is checked. There are numbers in my MAC address.

Any suggestions?

2. Bopanna I G

Bopanna I G Hunter

Hello Reggie,

Please carry out these instructions provided below :

1. Go to Configure options.
    2. Then choose Network adapter1.
    3. Change the configuration to Bridged Network.
    4. Then change it to default adapter.

Check if it will work.

Thank you.

3. Reggie Byrum

Thanks so much for your reply, but that didn't work.

Changed the setting, then restarted - same thing. Based on what you suggested, I then went through and tried them all - restarting each time. Same result.

4. Bopanna I G

Bopanna I G Hunter

Please follow these steps:

Before doing these steps please make sure to turn off Windows XP:

1. Go to Configure options (Usually under virtual machine tab).
    2. Select Network adapter.
    3. Remove the device by clicking '-'.
    4. Then click on the '+' symbol and add Network adapter.

Then start Parallels Desktop and see if you are able to connect to internet.

5. Reggie Byrum

I shut down Vista, removed the Network adapter, added it back, started Vista . . . same thing. All appears to be connected to the Internet (network symbol in task bar, etc). Yet when I open Explorer, I get:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

(blah, blah, blah)

Diagnose Connection Problems.

When I "diagnose connection problems", I get the following when it is done:

"Windows did not find any problems with this computer's network connection".

I went back and set my Network Adapter 1 settings to what they were initially:

Network Adapter 1
    Enabled (checked)
    Connected (checked)
    Shared Networking (checked)
    Mac address: (has a series of letters and numbers, which I have clicked "generate" a couple of times just for grins).

That's it.

Am I missing some setting in Preferences on the Mac side maybe?

6. Reggie Byrum

In Preferences > Network on the Mac side, I have:

Show: Network Status

AirPort - AirPort is connect to the network Apple Network (xxxxxx). You are connected to the Internet via AirPort.
    Parallels Shared Networking Adapter - Parallels Shared Networking Adapter is currently active and has the IP address . . . .
    Parallels Host-Only Networking Adapter - Parallels Host-Only Networking Adapter is current active and has the IP address . . . . .
    VPN (L2TP) VPN (L2TP) is configured but is not connected.

Does that offer any insight?

7. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,

To investigate the problem, please switch back to the shared networking. Actually (when there are no some special conditions), it is recommended to use Shared Networking.

could you please run the cmd.exe (click Start -> Run and type cmd.exe) and type in the appeared window command
    "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and post here the screenshot with resulted output?

then, in the same window, "ping 10.211.55.1", then "ping www.google.com" and post here screenshots of these results.

8. Reggie Byrum

It's back on Shared Networking. Here are the screen shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Interesting...

Please try to open file /Library/Preferences/Parallels/network.xml and replace the option
    <UseBSDSockets>0</UseBSDSockets> with <UseBSDSockets>1</UseBSDSockets>

Note: this task is rather advanced so let me know if you need some assistance.

10. Reggie Byrum

Was able to open the file with BBEdit after unlocking it first. Changed the BSD Sockets to "1". Rebooted Vista - no change.

Items to Note:
    1. The network icon that shows the two computers and world - it says "Currently connected to: Network 2. Access: Local and Internet.

2. When I click "Network and Sharing Center", it shows my computer, Network 2 and Internet with no problems. (no red "X") However when I click "View Full Map" above the Internet Icon, it says "Windows cannot create the network map. Responses from other devices on the network are delayed or there is an incompatible router on the network."

Settings in Network and Sharing Center are:

Network 2 (Private network)
    Access - Local and Internet
    Connection - Local Area Connection 2

Sharing and Discovery
    Network discovery - On
    File sharing - On
    Public folder sharing - On
    Printer sharing - On
    Password protected sharing - On
    Media sharing - Off

Does that shed any light?

11. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Oops... I forgot to mention that it is required to execute one more thing after changing this value.
    Please start the Terminal (/Application/Utilities/Terminal) and execute in it the command
    "sudo killall -HUP prl_naptd" (without quotes). This will make Parallels reread required config. It is not necessary to restart Vista after that.

It is ok. It is due to the nature of the Shared Networking mode.
    If you are working in office with real ethernet network, then probably Bridged Networking may work. But otherwise should be used the shared networking.

12. Reggie Byrum

Opened terminal and pasted in your command - nothing really happened.

After pasting in your command and entering my password, it just brought me back to my MacBookPro~user$ prompt.

Went back to Vista and opened Explorer - same thing.

Reggie

13. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

14. Reggie Byrum

Ticket Number:

[Parallels #743381],

You'll have to instruct me how to connect remotely.

Reggie

15. niked

niked Banned

It seems a bit difficult, I also met this problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    wholesale nike jordan

16. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Please save the attached file prl_use_bsd.patch to the home directory, then start the terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and issue next three commands:

cd ~
    sudo chmod a+x prl_use_bsd.patch
    sudo ./prl_use_bsd.patch

It is not necessary to restart Mac-host or VM.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  17. Reggie Byrum

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks to Parallels crack support staff, they scheduled a Webex seminar where they took control of my computer, as I sat and watched. The problem - everything indicated I was on the internet. The tech was able to ping Google and do an FTP login, but when you opened either Internet Explorer or Safari - it gave an error - Web page could not be displayed.

There was "something" that was blocking the signal or data from my computer. That "something" turned out to be TREND MICRO INTERNET SECURITY! Unknownly to me, it was preventing access through its firewall. Once we disabled Trend Micro - I was surfing the net in Windows!

Thanks to Parallels Support and all the trouble they went through to solve my problem. You guys are the best.

18. kat

kat Product Expert

would adding these also make the server work?
    thanks
    kat

19. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Do you mean Parallels Server 3.0? But this setting is for Shared Networking only and afaik there is no reason to use Shared Networking for Parallels Server 3.0

20. bitstorm

bitstorm Bit poster

in terminal when trying
    sudo ./prl_use_bsd.patch

I get the response
    No matching processes were found

Patch file is in the home directory