Cannot install Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by mlle, Apr 29, 2008.

1. mlle

mlle Member

Does anybody have a clue please? I'm a Linux beginner.

I purchased a Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna CD, to avoid problems in downloading and burning.

I'm trying to install as follows:

I select Linux Ubuntu (I have also tried Linux 'other' with the same results)
    Install from CD / DVD

Everything appears to start well ans I get the Linux Mint installation screen. Then the top part of the screen goes fuzzy and I get a black screen with too much text to repeat.

Basically (I might have missed something important):

Fatal: error inserting battery: no such device
    Starting powernowd
    156: cannot create " a long string of a directory path" :directory non existant
    CPU frequency, scaling not supported

Display server shutdown 6 times. Waiting 2 minutes.

Can anybody help please?

2. mlle

mlle Member

Urgent

If nobody knows, then can anybody suggest which Linux will install easily. I don't need Parallel Tools. I only need a basic Linux installation with a Web browser.

Thanks. It's urgent, as I've been trying with Mint for too long.

3. Steeeve

Steeeve Junior Member

Mint 4.0 is based on Ubuntu 7.10 and I could never get ubuntu 7.10 to work originally.
    However, I've got some progress withMint 4.0 to starting up in live cd mode. At the main boot screen for the cd, choose "safe graphics mode". Now its going to keep flashing back and fourth between the terminal prompt and a screen with a mouse cursor. During the couple seconds that the terminal prompt is visible, type in "startx" which is a simple command to start the X-window server. You will get to the main mint gnome desktop, but then it will give you an error saying an X-window server is already running. I said no and it kept flashing, then it said "it started 6 times, something bad is going on," and clicked okay to that. Tada! I now have a working desktop. Well, actually, not really. When I go to open up the start menu thing it just tries to restart over and over again. Oh well... at least I tried!

I think you should try telling it to stop starting the x window server, which i think is "kill x." then you will be left at a command line where you can type in "start x" and it should book okay.

I know there's a thread around here somewhere that details what the exact boot options are for Ubuntu 7.10 to get it to work in parallels..

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  4. Steeeve

Steeeve Junior Member

I tried Linux Mint 4.0 on the free Sun VirtualBox 1.6 and it works on that without any modifications.

5. mlle

mlle Member

Thanks both of you.

I don't absolutely NEED Mint, I just bought it because it was suggested by a friend and was my first step into the Linux world.

Now I have been recommended 7.04, which I have downloaded and installed. the only addition I had to make was adding Javascript. Even the Internet connection worked without any tweaking. This is the way to go for me and solves my problem at least temporarily, until I get more ambitious on the Linux side.