Cannot install Parallels Tools on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by The Belgain, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dullerm

dullerm Bit poster

Same as mine now. However, like the others report, right click is sent as middle click and scrolling also does not work.

2. martinsbm

martinsbm Bit poster

No Luck.

Hi John...

Completely removed 5602 via methods recommended, and downloaded/installed 5604.

Kubuntu with the KDE 4 desktop...

- installed PT happily.
    - After reboot of VM, Kubuntu comes to login, but fails when going to desktop ... interlaced and incorrect video, then aborts back to Kubuntu login.

3. martinsbm

martinsbm Bit poster

Build 5604
    Did a fresh install of Kubuntu from image: kubuntu-kde4-8.04-desktop-i386.iso

Screenshots:

http://users.adelphia.net/~martinsb/Images/Picture0.png
    http://users.adelphia.net/~martinsb/Images/Picture1.png
    Kubuntu with KDE4 running, but bottom of screen cut off. Parallels Tools not yet installed.

http://users.adelphia.net/~martinsb/Images/Picture2.png
    Parallels Tools successfully installed.

http://users.adelphia.net/~martinsb/Images/Picture3.png
    Restart VM

http://users.adelphia.net/~martinsb/Images/Picture4.png
    Login screen. Based on screen dimensions you see, you know something's wrong.

http://users.adelphia.net/~martinsb/Images/Picture5.png
    Log in and, "uh-oh" (note sound is flashing green) ... interlaced distorted video.

...login self-aborts...

http://users.adelphia.net/~martinsb/Images/Picture6.png
    ...and you're back to the login screen.

http://users.adelphia.net/~martinsb/Images/Picture0.png
    Do a console login, remove Parallels Tools, and you're back to the beginning.

Hope this helps troubleshoot.

...martinsbm

4. mfox

mfox Junior Member

Yes, VMware Fusion supports Ubuntu 8.04, although not the default way. You have to download the openVMware version of the tools and build them yourself, but there were good cookbook instructions for this on the net that I had no trouble following.

Concerning Parallels, unofficial built 5604 seemed to work pretty well, as the Tools could be installed with it onto a Ubuntu 8.04 virtual machine. The one problem that remained was with mouse function - right-click and scroll didn't work. Build 5608 didn't fix that (at least not on my machine (iMac C2D 2.16ghz running 10.5.3), and several other posters reported the same problem. After removing build 5604 and installing 5608, I tried the Tools again, and this time, it wouldn't install them at all, being stopped by the xorg 1.4 problem. I don't know what else, if anything, that 5608 fixed that 5604 didn't, but the Tools situation was better in 5604. I do hope that something is in the works and released very soon, but it was depressing to see that the official release didn't fix the problem. I'm keeping my 8.04 VM for the time being but actually using my 7.10 VM, which works perfectly, mouse and all.

5. philgmo

philgmo Bit poster

I am having this same problem. I was running 5600 when it first happened, but I just ran 5608 and had the same problem (I did not try uninstalling Parallels Tools yet).

6. mfox

mfox Junior Member

I don't know how soon the fix will come for the mouse right-click and scroll for Ubuntu 8.04, and I do want to commend Parallels for the quick fix for the flickering in virtual machines run under MacOSX 10.5.3, but for those who can't wait or are itching to get 8.04 to work in a virtual setting, you might want to try running it under Sun's VirtualBox. Sun just came out with an updated version (1.6.2) today, and I decided to try it when I found that Parallels update 5608 didn't fix the mouse problems. I was very pleasantly surprised with VirtualBox. It isn't quite as user-friendly as Parallels, but not difficult either. It required a bit of tweaking to get the tools installed and the sound and shared folders working, but 8.04 really works well on VirtualBox. The only thing that doesn't work is drag and drop to/from Mac to virtual Ubuntu and that doesn't work on Linux VMs from Parallels either. I got it operational in less than 2 hours, including installation and I'm no computer guru. So this is a good option for those who are having trouble installing Hardy on Parallels. Again, I'm not criticizing Parallels - Linux is not the primary interest of their customer base and their software is aces with Windows virtual machines. But it seems that for whatever reason, different virtual programs work better with some guest OS'es than others.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  7. shavital

shavital Member

The recently released build 5608 did not solve the problem

Contrarily to what I hoped the recently released build 5608 has not solved the Parallels Tools issue with Ubuntu 8.04 ("Hardy Heron").

Here's the copy/paste of Terminal when trying to install Parallels Tools. The version in the virtual Parallels Tools CD indicates clearly 5608
    Ubuntu7:~$ cd /media/cdrom0
    Ubuntu7:/media/cdrom0$ sudo sh parallels-tools.run
    [sudo] password for:
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing Parallels Tools for Linux.................................................................................................
    You are about to start installing Parallels Tools. Save your data and close all
    applications to prevent data loss during possible X-Server restart.
    Continue ? [Yes/No]:Yes
    Found xorg version 1.4.0
    Installation for xorg.1.4 not found.

It seems that the problem remains the same, and is related to the X-Server version.
    I have posted a technical request to Parallels Tech support by web e-mail.

Charly

8. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We are investigating this situation now

9. John@Parallels

5608 doesn't have Parallels Tools compatible with Ubuntu 8.04
    5604 was unofficial build, we are preparing new build which will be available in the end of June

10. iMav

iMav Junior Member

Well, it is now the beginning of July. Has this been resolved yet?

11. John@Parallels

Yes, actually they are, and were included in Parallels Server, developers are working to make necessary changes in tools to be compatible with Parallels Desktop version 3 (for now they are not fully compatible and they will be in ver 4)

12. cslinuxboy

cslinuxboy Bit poster

I have been following this thread for some time now. We were told this would be resolved for Parallels desktop in late June. Now we are told that we have to wait for version 4. When can we expect version 4??? Or is it recommended that I shell out more money for Server since the fixes were implemented there first?

I'm tired of getting jerked around!! This is ridiculous! I going with VMWare.

13. John@Parallels

Linux tools will be available in one of the upcoming build for Parallels Desktop ver 3, and they are already introduced in Parallels Server, but they are a bit incompatible - they are compatible with version 4
    That is what I mean

14. tsferreira

tsferreira Bit poster

I am not sure I understood John's reply. I am considering purchasing Parallels for my iMac but I have to be sure whether it will install Parallels Tools for Ubuntu 8.04. How soon will it be available? If I purchase version 3 will I have to pay for upgrade to version 4?

15. Bernhard.parallels

Bernhard.parallels Member

tsferreira,

you might consider using VirtualBox, which is free and runs Ubuntu 8.04 - maybe even only temporarily until the fix for 8.04 and/or version 4.0 is available.

16. tsferreira

tsferreira Bit poster

I also want to run Windows XP and for that Parallels seems to be much better integrated with Mac OS X than VisualBox.

17. John@Parallels

We are working to provide it as soon as possible, I will try to provide you ETA on the next week (no guarantee :) )

18. tsferreira

tsferreira Bit poster

What about the second question relative to versions 3 and 4?

19. tsferreira

tsferreira Bit poster

BTW Bernhard, I just downloaded VirtualBox and installed Ubuntu 8.04 in it. When I tried to run the virtual machine again, the whole iMac hung up and nothing would work, not even "Force Quit" key. I had to turn the iMac off and then on again :-(.

20. John@Parallels

Second question,
    I suppose they will be upgrade fee, not exactly sure how much, - indeed good question, I will try to clarify this on the next week

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.