Cannot install Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by wealthychef, Jul 6, 2007.

1. wealthychef

wealthychef Junior Member

My first installation of parallels 3.0 bit the dust. :-( So I uninstalled Parallels.
    Now, when trying to reinstall, I keep getting the message "there was an error in installation, please try again." Nothing in the system or console logs. Tried restarting my machine. The same thing happens with version 2 as in version 3. I need this to work. And now I find that tech support is for a fee? Wow, that sucks. I hope someone on this forum can help. Maybe I should try vmware...

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Tried and archive and install of OS X? Or less invasive, you can try a good cache cleaner like Onyx.

3. wealthychef

wealthychef Junior Member

problem solved

You're kidding, right? Reinstall my entire operating system because of Parallels? That's nuts, but thanks for the suggestion. :)
    However, it turns out that the installer has a log of its own. There I discovered the issue and my problem is gone. The waste of time this morning was still a terrible experience, but at least I have a working product again.
    For information's sake, I had put Parallels into /Programs/Utilities/ and made a symlink in /Applications to my new location. The uninstaller did not remove the symlink but did remove the original directory. This confused the installer.

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hey, glad you found your issue...

I have a re-install routine, so if troubleshooting takes longer than 30 minutes on a hosed machine I just re-install. Life is easy that way.