Cannot install WinXP from CD

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Yoyand, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Yoyand

Yoyand Bit poster

Hi there, someone might help me...

I downloaded Parallels 3 demo and tried to install WinXP SP2 - I used the same install CD with which I succesfully installed XP previously under BootCamp. But with Parallels the CD was not recognized during boot - it said it's not a system disc.

I also tried it with a disk image created with Dusk Utility, with no success.

What should I do?

2. revsheila

revsheila Bit poster

CD/DVD Not Recognized

Same situation as previous post.

CD/DVD in Windows XP Pro is not recognized. It appears in lower right portion of Windows screen but has small red 'x'.

I would reinstall Parallels and Windows XP Pro, but can't do that since Windows doesn't see or recognize the CD. Until it recognizes the CD, I can't reinstall the drivers/whatever that needs to be fixed so that I fix the CD. Feels like a vicious circle.

Have tried looking for drivers to download and install.
    Have tried the Windows updaters and repairs.
    Have tried calling Apple.

Anyone have a suggestion to repair and move on?

All works fine on Apple side. All software updaters have been installed.http://forum.parallels.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

3. Yoyand

Yoyand Bit poster

Forgot to mention...

...that I sent a message to Parallels Support but noone answered. I have only 5 more days to try the demo. Disapponiting... :(

4. Yoyand

Yoyand Bit poster

No more Parallels

Hi there (does anyone read these posts?!)

Finally, I could not get Parallels Desktop to run, so after reading a forum topic somewhere I tried VMWare Fusion beta. Funny, it works :) I bought it.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Yoyand

5. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Try saving the image in Disk Utility as a "DVD/CD master" and then changing the extension to ISO.

6. gproud

gproud Bit poster

I've tried everything on this forum and nothing works. Based on the number of problems people are having, I'd say this is just a crappy program. And the support stinks. Deleting it.