Cannot remove Parallels Shared Networking Adapter

gamefreak

Bit poster
Hi,

i have a strange Problem. As i installed Parallels (it was a demo of the 2parallels server version") on my Mac (Mac Pro) it installed 2 Parallels Network Adapter. Now after removing parallels, those virtual adapters are still there and causing serious trouble on my system. When i try to remove those adapters in "system preferences->network" they come back after every restart...

How can i get rid of those virtual adapters?!

Thank you very much!

greetings
André
 
Last edited:
in Terminal
cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo rm -rf prl_hid_hook.kext
sudo rm -rf prl_hypervisor.kext
sudo rm -rf prl_netbridge.kext
sudo rm -rf prl_usb_connect.kext
sudo rm -rf prl_vnic.kext
 
I have taken the above steps several times and the networking adapter still appears in the Network pane. Is there another way, or have things changed in the latest version?
 
I have taken the above steps, but the networking adapters still appear in the Network pane. Is there another way to remove them, or have things changed in the latest version of Parallels?
 
Same Issue

I have the same issue. Tried the steps outline above in Terminal, but whenever I turn Airport on, the two Parallels adapters reappear.
 
Have the same problem. Hello Parallels! Will you help us fix this or what?

With more than 50000 hits on google, we are quite a lot who have trouble removing the shared networking adapter - which is unremovable - and messes the network and airport on mac. I actually wanted to buy the new Parallels desktop for my mac, but after having so much hassle and trouble with my network based on the trial - I just hate parallels - unless of course, you help me and the many others with this tiresome problem.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks
 
This Doesn't Work

The above Terminal commands don't work. They apparently do something, but everything is back after reboot.

Tried a few times. Parallels 4 on Snow Leopard 10.6.1
 
Fixed it...

I followed the above instructions but this did not work.
I then searched other libraries for Parallel folders.
I found in Macdrive/Library/startupitems
This contained Parallels 20-47-37/Pvsvnic.kext/
I moved this to the trash can.

I then went into the network preferences and stopped the parallels network adaptors (select each adaptor i turn, on the right hand window drop down the option and select stop)

Restart the system

The adaptors are still in the network preference panel. Now select each one and hit the '-' tab to remove them.
 
This worked for me

I followed the instructions on http://kb.parallels.com/5714 (starting at step 5).

From the Terminal:

cd /Library/
sudo rm -rf Parallels
cd /Library/Preferences/
sudo rm -rf Parallels
cd /Library/StartupItems/
sudo rm -rf ParallelsTransporter
cd /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo rm -rf prl_hid_hook.kext
sudo rm -rf prl_hypervisor.kext
sudo rm -rf prl_vnic.kext
sudo rm -rf prl_usb_connect.kext
sudo rm -rf prl_netbridge.kext
cd /Users/<username>/
sudo rm -rf .parallels/
sudo rm -rf .parallels_settings

Then launch Applications --> Utilities --> Disk Utility, select Macintosh HD on the left and click the Repair Disk Permissions button (not sure if this mattered, but I did it anyway).
 
Not pretty but it's fixed

I tried the term commands with no luck. I determined it was not anything in my user folder. Decided to go through the MacHD/Library folder by hand. Tossed anything with Parallels or Parallels Desktop in the name. Did not have to dig very deep to find all the stuff. Didn't have to find all the prefs since those don't auto-spawn.

Had to restart to actually empty the trash and restart again to get it to take. Didn't rebuild permissions or anything.
When all else fails, brute force will usually work... or break it. Do at your own risk.
 
Back
Top