Cannot run VS2015 Debug exe after migrating Windows 10 Guest to new Mac

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by EricT15, Apr 12, 2022.

1. EricT15

EricT15 Bit Poster

For a couple years, I had been running Visual Studio 2015 on a Windows 10 Pro host within Parallels 15.

On the old and new machine, I have had my Mac's home folder shared to the Windows Guest and mapped to the same drive letter, Z. All of my various projects/solutions worked on the old install.

Recently, I got a new Macbook Pro and set up Parallels 15 on that new machine. Then I followed the transfer via https://www.parallels.com/blogs/transfer-existing-vm-to-new-mac/

On the new MBP, I open the VS2015 project/solution via the open dialog and step my way into the project folder. It loads fine, I can save when just editing and building. However, when trying to run the program (with or without debugging enabled) within VS2015 or even going to the location in a separate window, I get "Access is denied".

Given the ecosystem in which I'm developing, I can't just change the project's OutputPath option to build to %TEMP%, etc.

After this failure was noticed, I then upgraded to Parallels 17, thinking something changed within Parallels. The failure persists.

Given that I migrated the guest, I'm at a loss for what would be different between the two configurations.

Has anyone encountered this?

2. EricT15

EricT15 Bit Poster

Additional info

An ASP.NET webstack project runs fine in debug on this same Z: drive mounted from Mac.

Perhaps some console/Powershell settings I need for the first system?