Cannot save Excel for Mac 2016 files to VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ShaneO2, May 31, 2020.

1. MatthewB32

MatthewB32 Bit poster

On testing further, I was able to isolate the MACTF file issue, which appears to be generated by Excel and/or macOS for xlsx files, possibly related to the AutoRecover/AutoSave processes. Even when disabling all of those, and saving as xls instead of xlsx, I still get a similar error -- but it ends up being far simpler -- Excel cannot access /Volumes/ -- plain and simple.

My current hypothesis is that Excel has a (likely long-antiquated) issue with saving to volumes that have brackets in their name -- and Parallels creates its shared volume on the Mac side with the legacy Windows drive letter in brackets -- "[C] Windows 11" in my case. You can see one aspect of this issue if you try to save an Excel file with brackets in the name -- Excel says no, although Word is fine with it.

I can't seem to find anyway to change the naming convention Parallels uses when it mounts Windows drive images on the Mac side as a shared volume. There is a setting in the Parallels Control Center, under Options and then Sharing, to "Assign a drive letter to shared folders" which is checked by default. I unchecked it -- but based on where it appears (under Share Mac), it is for when you're mapping shared folders from the Mac side to Windows, not your actual local hard drive image or vice versa. I couldn't find any parallel (no pun intended) setting for omitting the drive letter for local drive(s) from the Windows side to Mac.

Lorenzo11 likes this.
  2. Lorenzo11

Lorenzo11 Bit poster

UP

I have this very same problem and it's driving me nuts. Only with Excel. It's incredible this hasn't been fixed yet

3. Lorenzo11

Lorenzo11 Bit poster

Thanks for your answer. "save as" works as intended, but it's not exactly "practical" to save a new version of the file every time you want to change something.

4. JohnP67

JohnP67 Bit poster

Over 2 years and Parallels has not seemed to look into this. Since Bir Sur Parallels has a broken Bluetooth now as well. Granted it was initiated by Mac with updates in Big Sur but it got so hard to get Parallels to fix it they closed my case ! I've 3 parallels subscriptions, thinking of testing something else and moving away from them after many years. It's unfortunate.

Lorenzo11 likes this.
  5. BruceP4

BruceP4 Bit poster

I'm running into the same issue, Parallels is sharing full disk access, and save as works fine so long as you're saving somewhere within the local mac structure. This issue is only impacting excel for mac as far as I can tell. I can edit save in the hidden C drive using word and several other formats and programs as well.

6. GeoffF1

GeoffF1 Bit poster

I cannot believe three years in and this is still an issue. Bumping the thread because it's still not fixed. Yikes! Can save Word no problem, but Excel same issue as described.

7. JohnP67

JohnP67 Bit poster

Apparently I read somewhere that this issue is something in excel itself of which restricts Parallels from fixing it, hard to believe but guess it may be a possibility.