Cannot See USB External Device

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by TylerB2, Feb 25, 2016.

1. TylerB2

TylerB2 Bit poster

I have a 1TB Seagate External Drive that I am using for a Time Machine Backups.
    I am attempting to create a new VM and I cannot get the drive to mount in Parallels. The drive mounts and works fine on the host, when I set the drive in the configurations to be used from the VM it won't mount. I have tried this in both the Initial OS Install looking in Disk Utility, after installing the OS in the VM, as well as using Migration Assistant. None of these options can see the drive as mounted.

After installing the os, I can see the hardware connected in the System Report, but it won't mount and isn't viewable in disks. Drive is a mounted is Mac OS Extended and contains a little over 300GB worth of data.

2. Manu@Parallels

Manu@Parallels Guest

Hi TylerB2,
    If you are using Windows 10 as virtual machine please follow steps suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/123450 and let us know if it worked.

3. TylerB2

TylerB2 Bit poster

Thank you for the response but I am not using Windows 10. I am running OSX El Capitan as both the host and the guest OS. The help articles for Windows 10 have proved not to help in this situation.

4. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hey TylerB2,
    Please email us the Problem Report ID as per kb.parallels.com/9058 along with the issue description to cs(at)parallels(.)com, so we can assist you.