Cannot update to latest version

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by newmanm, Nov 2, 2011.

1. newmanm

newmanm Bit poster

Dear all,
    I've been having a problem updating parallels to the new 7.0.15050.707095. Every time I click check for updates it finds it, however when I click download it says: "The update could not be downloaded - Check your network connection and try again". I've tried everything I can think of. I know I can download the latest build via their website but I want to figure out why it wont work. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Mike

2. hmolen

hmolen Member

I have similar issue, this is what I get in a popup:
    Unable to install the update
    Contact the parallels support team for assistance
    Support information:
    Problem id: 15209

When I search for 15209 I get this:
    Error 15209: Unable to install the update
    Article ID: 112428
    Last Review: Oct, 3 2011
    Views:
    APPLIES TO:

Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac

Symptoms
    Upgrading Parallels Desktop to version 7 or installing one of its updates fails with the following error message:

Error 15209: Unable to install the update
    Cause
    This may happen due to various reasons, however the most frequent reason is that Parallels Desktop installation image is corrupted. That usually happens due to a failed download.
    Resolution
    Please re-download the PD 7 installation image as described in this article:

112178 Cannot download Parallels Desktop 7

================================================
    This means that the downloaded image is corrupted.....<duh>
    A spotlight search on my HD reveals that there is no such file to update (I searched for "707095").
    So, the file is not corrupt but not existing !!!!!
    There is a problem with the script that downloads/installs the new version.

I took the advice and downloaded the free tool Folx Downloader (from CNET).
    But when I entered the link from this article it downloaded a hotfix of 10 years ago :)
    I now need the location of the file that will upgrade parallels to 707095.
    Parallels team please help ???
    I cannot imagine we're the only ones with this problem ?
    Greetz....

3. ikorobov

ikorobov Parallels Developers

Hello,

Please try to do the following:
    1. Quit Parallels Desktop (if running)
    1. In Finder, go to Applications->Utilities
    2. Launch a Terminal application
    3. In the command prompt execute the following command to cleanup the download folder in your home directory:
    rm -rf ~/Library/Parallels/Downloads/ParallelsDesktop*
    4. Launch Parallels Desktop and try to update again via "Parallels Desktop->Check for Updates..." menu item

Hope this helps.

We're sorry for the inconvenience caused.

With best regards,
    Ivan

4. Damien Hatfield

Damien Hatfield Bit poster

Same for me

I have a couple of Macs and I've been getting the same messages for last year on every update. The only way that I seem to be able to do an update is by downloading a trial version. Parallels you must have a problem here and it has been going on for a long time.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I strongly disagree with advising users to use "rm -rf" a simple misplaced char or enter can wreak havoc, it's just too dangerous.

It would be safer to tell users to navigate to that folder and delete the contents.

6. Damien Hatfield

Damien Hatfield Bit poster

Tried that didn't work

I still get the same error message as above. I also downloaded directly from the download page and get a checksum error on the image. This also happens all of the time.

I think Parallels is really good software. Your tech support stinks. I have been having these problems for years. The only way I do an upgrade is that one of my machines eventually downloads a clean trial version. I have spoken to your tech support on a couple of occasions and I normally get the brain dead person. Your tech support number on your website for Australia is a disconnected number. After being so frustrated with these continuing episodes, I upgraded an old version of VMWare and I am trailing both.

You guys are going to start losing customers if you don't get it right.

7. hmolen

hmolen Member

Hi Ivan,
    This solution only works if the ˜/library/parallels/downloads" directory has anything in it....
    I looked at this folder before I did any 'rm' but the folder is empty, even when I checked it in a terminal screen with ls- al.
    It should be there but even a 'find' did not return anything with the expression '707095' in it.
    So, I tried to download again with "check for updates" and it returned the same error.
    I am going to NEED the URL to download the update file.

By the way, Parallels Support does not stink, they do what they can to help and from experience I can say VMWare has much worse support.
    I always use the CHAT and always get good help until completion...
    I did not use that since Parallels works fine at the moment (well, I have one little issue) and I don't HAVE TO upgrade.
    I also want to make sure that all people benefit from the response to solve this hick-up.
    Ivan, all we need is the link to the file and we will be good...
    Agree ?
    Hans.

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The link for the file is easy, just go to parallels.com>downloads>Parallels Desktop 7>Download it.

9. hmolen

hmolen Member

All I get there is the question to buy or upgrade.....don't really like that.I want a working link without the questions I am already a Parallels customer since P4.
    There must be a way to download this file without getting the trial version...

10. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

Go to http://www.parallels.com/download/desktop/

Click on the 'Download Now' link by 'Already have an activation key'. You'll be sent a download link.

11. YanaYana

YanaYana

JEarles is right, moreover, the trial version downloaded from our website in fact has no difference with the full version - the difference is the key ( the trial one expires in 14 days), so downloading from the Parallels website may be a good idea in case of any difficulty during the update.

12. Jrh68uk

Jrh68uk Member

I had the same problem - my download stopped at some point and it gave the "check connection" error each time I tried to re-start the download. Rebooting didn't help, so (rather than open a terminal) I opened Finder, Clicked the Go menu and pressed alt: this reveals the Library folder which is hidden by default in Lion. I went to Parallels, Downloads and deleted the .part file within. Problem solved.

13. hmolen

hmolen Member

This is what I recall doing a few times in the past, thanks very much that worked like a charm.
    Didn't see the little "already have an activation key" line under it, should have recognized it :):)

Still funny that it didn't just download to my mac, I have done this numerous times and now it stopped working ?
    Cannot imagine that that is due to a failure of Paralells download center or incompatibility with Lion.

As stated before....it did not download anything....nowhere was the file 707095 to be found on my laptop.
    I also don't have "hidden" directories, I can see Library without tricks.

Thanks JEarles !!!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  14. markab

markab Bit poster

I have this problem also, if I delete the download as suggested rm -rf ~/Library/Parallels/Downloads/ParallelsDesktop*
    The new download runs but then the update fails when it actually tries to install.

This problem is tied to the version 7 early access, ever since I got the early access the updater has never worked. It's annoying to have to download the trial everytime.

15. YanaYana

YanaYana

If the problem is continuing i suggest you to contact Parallels support team for assistance - they can investigate thi case and workmout the solution for you

16. hmolen

hmolen Member

It happened again......now for the version 7.0.15052.710728, what is happening ?
    I will do the same trick but I think this is not the way it should work, right ?
    Hans.

17. YanaYana

YanaYana

No, of course not. It should work. But interruption in network connection may lead to this issue.
    Please refer to http://kb.parallels.com/en/112178 for the alternative solution.

18. hmolen

hmolen Member

I have a rock-solid network connection here at work that is up 99.999999999997%.
    I can assure you that I have no network interruption.
    Even better....the download just never starts !!!
    When I click on Install Now, it gives me the splash screen and then for my HD password.
    I enter my correct password and then it sits there for 1 second and comes back with the above error.
    It NEVER downloads 1 bit from the download server.
    The alternative works fine so I am not so worried but still, this should not happen this way....
    I checked my firewall setting but my firewall is not active...
    Hans.

19. ikorobov

ikorobov Parallels Developers

Hi Hans,

could you please create and send us a problem report (menu Help->Report a Problem...) and post its ID here?
    It would greatly help to understand why the installation still fails.
    Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Ivan

20. hmolen

hmolen Member

done, 11279429