Cannot use Parallels with Windows bootcamp partition

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by WalterR7, Apr 3, 2021.

1. WalterR7

WalterR7 Member

PD16, MacOS Catalina, iMac late 2013
    I am able to install Windows 10 on Bootcamp partition (which requires booting into Windows to do so.) However, when I try to use the partition directly under Parallels, I get BSOD almost immediately.

Yesterday, I had Parallels create a Windows 10 on-disk VM (not bootcamp partition) using the "download windows 10 from Microsoft" part of New. That downloaded Win10_20H2_English_x64.iso and installed it. The resulting on-disk VM seems to work fine, and Microsoft did NOT believe it needed any updates (other than latest version of the Windows Defender database.)

I then took the exact same ISO and used Bootcamp Assistant to create an install USB, booted and installed onto my Bootcamp partition that way. After install, Windows insisted that I immediately needed some updates, some major; I applied those (time-consuming!). The resulting system boots fine when I go into Bootcamp, but BSOD under Parallels. I did NOT install the Apple drivers.

The BSOD does not give any useful information about what the problem is.

Earlier on, working with an earlier Windows version, when I went to use Parallels, I would get BSOD with a Cache Coherence Manager error. In those tests, with a bunch of effort, I identified that with that particular combination of software, I was able to run as long until I installed the Apple drivers (but without the Apple drivers I was not able to use sound when booting directly, for example.)

(My use of VMs is mostly to run some STEM software; my use of Bootcamp is mostly to run games that will not run under Parallels.)

2. ABIH

ABIH Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem. But I have an existing bootcamp that used to work just fine in parallels also, but since today I get BSOD when booting in parallels. Reinstalling windows does not resolve the problem

3. ABIH

ABIH Bit poster

Managed to do a full reinstall of Windows (remove bootcamp with bootcamp assistant, create new bootcamp, install with newly downloaded windows ISO). Only difference in this scenerio is that Windows updates are not downloaded automatically, so I think the problem has to do with the (latest??) windows update 2021-03?

4. WalterR7

WalterR7 Member

During my testing when I was getting the Cache Coherence problem, one of the MS Windows updates did indeed trigger the problem. However, Windows forces updates (unless you configure your internet as Metered, or set some deep registry settings that don't work anymore it seems.)

It was after that the I managed to get it to the point where Windows was stable until I installed Apple software.
    But then I had the idea that I would use the Parallels Desktop feature to download, figuring that whatever was downloaded would surely be compatible with Apple, that it would surely have been tested. That's the sequence that worked fine when I imported into a VM but required updates when I took the ISO and installed in Bootcamp, and Parallels can't run the resulting machine :(