Can't Access Desktop Category under Display Properties (Windows XP)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TabulaRasa, Jan 3, 2009.

1. TabulaRasa

TabulaRasa Bit poster

Hey! I've the problem that i can't access the Desktop section in the Display Properties under XP. Every time i click that section the window doesn't response any more. I'm running Parallels 4.0 under OSX 10.5.6 with an Windows Prof 5.1 SP3. It doesn't matter if i try this in Coherence Mode, Fullscreen etc.

Maybe anyone had this problem too and found a solution or has an idee what's the problem.

thanks a lot

TabulaRasa

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Do you have any custom video drivers installed, is VM in Active Directory?

3. TabulaRasa

TabulaRasa Bit poster

I haven't installed any custom drivers.

What is that Active Directory, how can i check this?

4. John@Parallels

I meant is it VM you installed yourself, or it is from workplace installed by network admin

5. TabulaRasa

TabulaRasa Bit poster

No, it's an local desktop installation done by myself.

6. John@Parallels

Please try to create new user account and access the similar tab, if you can access, it from another user account, your profile is corrupted, and you probably need to use another account you created and get your data from another account
    If you cannot get the same tab from another account, please perform Windows repair as described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/5138

7. TabulaRasa

TabulaRasa Bit poster

I had no problem to access those settings with a new user account. The only question I still have is, is there a danger of loosing data when deleting my old (non working) user account which has redirected it's user folders to my user folders on my mac partition? Does Parallels delete those directed folders too?

8. John@Parallels

YEs, you need to copy data to the safe place firs,
    If you have Shared Profile and saved data in Documents, then disable shared profile while in corrupted account
    After that, login as another account and enable shared profile,
    also do not forget to change default user for login to Windows, if you are not using password
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

9. TabulaRasa

TabulaRasa Bit poster

I've no data in any user folder on the Windows partition. I always fetch my data from the Mac partition.
    So i don't want to copy my whole Mac user folder (app. 150GB!) to an backup folder. Can't i just turn off Shared Folders and Shared Profile in the Parallesl Configure Menu to be sure that Parallesl doesn't touch any data on my Mac partition?

10. John@Parallels

In this case yes, all data on mac partition will not be touched, but any in your profile in Windows will be deleted,
    I recomend you to keep that account for sometime