Can't access DVD drives from Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by imacken, Sep 18, 2010.

1. imacken

imacken Hunter

Whenever I put in a DVD when running Windows VM, only Windows recognises it. How do I change the configuration so that it asks me which OS to use when a DVD is inserted?
    Thanks.

2. Mike Weis

Mike Weis Junior Member

From the Parallels configuration menu, disconnect the CD/DVD drive. That will return it to OS X. Select the CD/DVD drive from the same menu to reconnect it to Windows.

3. imacken

imacken Hunter

Thanks Mike. Yes, I can do that, but what I wanted was to get the system to ask which OS to use when a DVD is inserted. You know, like when a printer, etc. is connected.
    Is that not possible?

4. Mike Weis

Mike Weis Junior Member

Anything is possible, but I would guess what you ask will not happen. Many of us are used to the current behavior, that we have to disconnect the drive in the guest OS to use it in the Mac OS host. Prompting "what do you want to do?" in this case would be a nuisance over time if implemented. Once you are used to the current behavior it is problematic to change.

5. imacken

imacken Hunter

Thanks for that Mike. I take your point. However, it seems totally illogical when other inserted media or devices force a dialogue box which asks which OS to use.
    No big deal, though.