Can't boot - "autochk program not found - skipping autocheck" after XP SP3

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Al_Q, May 26, 2008.

1. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I suppose you need additional step after uninstall SP3
    Windows repair in Boot Camp

2. Boemmel72

Boemmel72 Bit poster

I can boot the bootcamp partition after uninstall SP3, but in the end the error still appears.

3. John@Parallels

Did you perform Windows repair?

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

For the Windows Repair Install procedure, this post I made weeks ago and that was totally ignored by everybody in this thread (if it wasn't this thread would have half the size).

5. blinky

blinky Junior Member

John - I suppose you could do the repair or the uninstall of SP3 (using the working Parallels startup), then install Boot Camp 2.1, then reapply the SP3 update. The repair is more direct, but if you choose to Repair SP3 with an SP2 installer ... I believe you don't get an option to repair you only end up in the Recovery Console at a DOS prompt. The "autochk" comes up in Boot Camp if Apple's Boot Camp 2.1 was not installed before SP3, and comes up in Parallels if Parallels Tools ... well, that's unclear to me whether it matters if 5608 is loaded before or after SP3. I believe I've seen it both ways now. On the Parallels side it's a simple fix, though, because as the other posts have noted the cure is to use the nice Parallels Tools -> Clear button in the hard disk -> advanced pane of the VM config window, then let Parallels reinstall the tools at next restart of the Boot Camp VM.

Boemmel72 -- Pls see Specimen's post above or my post #39. It'll work. Really.

Hey specimen I didn't ignore your post I used the general procedure but didn't make/have a slipstreamed SP3. Thanks for your post because it helped me find the procedure that worked for me.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  6. Boemmel72

Boemmel72 Bit poster

All right. It works. But not the "easy" way. :D

I tried the repair install an the next steps but in the end, nothing changes.

Then I tried Specimens post #39 and I found my mistake. I did not uninstall the boot camp services. I had just reinstalled bc 2.1 update.

Now, I uninstalled the boot camp services. Re-installed BC 2.0 from the Leopard DVD and then update it to 2.1. I followed specimens steps and voilà both (bc and parallels) runs.

There`s only a problem with the Built-in iSight, but the rest is doing fine. Thanx for your help!!!

7. John@Parallels

I would like to summarize steps and prepare knowledge base article - we will specially mention that this is community driven solution, please correct me, if I am missing something
    1. Slipstream SP3 in Windows Xp
    2. Boot from Windows CD, and perform repair installation
    3. Uninstall Boot Camp,install again from Leopard DVD, upgrade to Boot Cam 2.1
    4. Install Windows XP SP3
    5. Start Mac OS and Parallels Desktop - do not start Virtual Machine, but access Configuration Editor- Hard disk1 - Advanced -and click Clear to remove Parallels Desktop information from Boot Camp
    6. Start Parallels Desktop- reinstall Parallels Tools

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  8. Boemmel72

Boemmel72 Bit poster

I think there is one more step between 3 and 4:

Install XP SP3

9. John@Parallels

Yep, thank you

10. teebee

teebee Bit poster

i have now uninstalled sp3 on parallels and tried to run the bootcamp updater, but it seems that nothing happend. where do i find what bootcamp version i'm running?

since i upgraded from tiger to leopard i probly had an old version. so i upgraded to 2.0 with upgrade cd and trying to upgrade the bootcamp version with apple updater now.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  11. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Easiest solution (run this native, not under Parallels):

* Uninstall Boot Camp (just to be safe), reboot.
    * Install the Boot Camp you have on your leopard DVD (probably version 2.0), reboot.
    * Run Apple Software Update to Upgrade Boot Camp to the latest version

The Boot Camp on Leopard Upgrade DVDs is the same and complete installer as the full retail Leopard DVDs.

It has to be done like this because Boot Camp 2.1 only comes in the form of a patch to 2.0, not as a complete installer. Unless Apple is already shipping 2.1 in the more recent Leopard DVDs.

@John@Parallels
    Don't forget to mention the fact that when you do a 'Repair Install' even with the lates SP slipstreamed many things get back to their default values and installations, like the Services and IE6.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  12. John@Parallels

Thanks, Specimen
    Updated version

1. Slipstream SP3 in Windows Xp
    2. Boot from Windows CD, and perform repair installation
    Note, that some applications settings and updates will be reverted back, as IE7 to IE6,and you need to install updates again, and configure services which you changed manually (for example IIS)
    3. Uninstall Boot Camp,install again from Leopard DVD, upgrade to Boot Cam 2.1
    4. Install Windows XP SP3
    5. Start Mac OS and Parallels Desktop - do not start Virtual Machine, but access Configuration Editor- Hard disk1 - Advanced -and click Clear to remove Parallels Desktop information from Boot Camp
    6. Start Parallels Desktop- reinstall Parallels Tools

13. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

In the final article nLite or similar application for slipstreaming should be mentioned.

Phew... I think that that pretty much covers it. :)

14. John@Parallels

Ok, I'm waiting til Monday, if here is no comment it will be published

15. blinky

blinky Junior Member

John, it is rather daunting to a newbie to make a slipstreamed SP3 CD. While it is a straightforward procedure, and not even particularly difficult to accomplish, it is at the very least a daunting proposal to suggest to everyone at the boards which includes folks with very little computer experience.

Isn't there some other more automated solution that Parallels can come up with?

There are a few situations being addressed here, so you would probably want to lay out the "if you have this, then do this" a little more explicitly.

Thank you and the others for trying to post a standard solution.

16. John@Parallels

In kb article we are planning to publish tomorrow, every detail will be described, in this thread you can see only draft, I will put link here tomorrow

17. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The use 'Windows repair Install' procedure, of which I've been the most 'feverous' apologist, in this particular situation is a 'bazooka-to-kill-a-fly' type of solution, meaning, it does more than it has to to fix the issue.

The problem itself is probably just one little thing in the registry or at the start of the partition, or some flags somewhere, that I found the Repair Install procedure fixed, and in terms of economy of time (my time) I found it was quicker to do the Repair Install instead of debugging the exact cause.

That being said, I had some hope Parallels would do this debugging and would create an utility to fix the problem. But it would be time consuming, and from Parallels point-of-view they probably think it isn't worth it for the limited amount of users it affects. Although I'm a bit puzzled by the following fact: if this problem doesn't occur if you use Parallels build >5600 then Parallels must know what is the exact cause of the problem, on the other hand, if it still occurs in the latest releases, XP isn't dead yet, and there aren't any commercially available XP CDs with SP3 (only with SP2), and SP3 is about to get pushed to Automatic Updates in July.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  18. John@Parallels

The problem is indeed in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute

It should be a REG_MULTI_SZ data type set to
    autocheck autochk *

But, it should and it is set to this value.
    I think that SP3 changes some values from previous HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSetN hives, and copying that control set to ControlSetN, because of change in hardware, services, dependencies etc
    But Parallels keeps its own registry hive, and doesn't touch real hives, thus changes applies during SP3 installation affects OS, but not registry (Boot Camp), and therefore system crashes

Please not this is my opinion only, not developers department responsible for this part

19. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Thank you for your insight into this, John. :)

20. John@Parallels

Parallels would like to thank all people participated here, and specially Specimen for guiding me to identify problem :)
    Bellow is article posted http://kb.parallels.com/en/5447

And I would like to mention that today I confirmed with developers my initial guess about registry,
    Unfortunately there is no easy fix for that and those who meet this problem need to perform steps in article
    As cross reference we added article how to slipstream SP3 to CD.
    Sorry, Specimen, we do not use nlite, we tried to be as much as possible official
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/5446

Feel free to comment articles, if you found some mistakes