Can't configure Windows 7 boot camp as a virtual machine

TronT

Bit poster
I have a MacBookPro5,1. I have setup the ability to triple boot between Mac OS X 10.6, Fedora Linux, and Windows 7.

I want to run my installations of Linux and Windows in Parallels as virtual machines.

To set up my installation of Windows I have tried the following:
Chose New... file the File Menu
Selected Boot Camp Partition in the New Virtual Machine Assistant screen
Clicked Continue
Set the name for the virtual machine
Went into advanced settings and set Processors to 2, and Main memory to 2048 MB
Clicked Create
Parallels reported the virtual machine was created successfully
Clicked on the Click to start icon that appears
Parallells attempted to configure the virtual machine and I got the following message:

You need to manually continue the process of configuring the "Windows 7" virtual machine.

To continue with the configuration, log in to your Windows virtual machine. If you have the CD autorun option enabled, the configuration will resume automatically. Otherwise, open My Computer and run the setup.exe file located on your CD, ignoring any Windows messages. For more information on configuring your virtual machines, visit the configuration page on the Parallels website.

When I clicked OK I'm was left with a DOS screen that says the following:

Parallels(R) VGA-Compatible VIOS Version 3.0.211.89721

5.0.9310.546799 Tue, 2 Jan 2010 16:37:05
Copyright 1999-2010 Parallels Holdings, Ltd. and its affiliates.
All rights reserved.

1024 MB physical memory installed

SCSI controller is not installed.
Network bootrom is installed.
Trying to boot from Primary Master IDE drive ...
Missing operating system

What is needed so Parallels will properly configure my Windows 7 installation as a virtual machine?
 
Hi, I also have virtually the same problem so am interested in a solution too.

2008 Mac Pro
Snow Leopard 10.6.2
Windows 7 x64 build 7600

I am getting the same messages - ie "You need to manually continue the process of configuring the "Windows 7" virtual machine" and "Missing operating system".
 
I may be in a similar boat:

I have a MacBookPro5,5. I have setup the ability to triple boot between Mac OS X 10.6, Ubuntu, and Windows 7.

The difference is I don't get passed the Trying to boot from Primary Master IDE drive ... line. Just seems to hang there.
 
It is possible

I followed the instructions from this link to set up Boot Camp as a VM running Windows 7 on my MacBook. (The instructions are for XP, but it works the same either way.)

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/use_winxp_boot_camp_partition_in_parallels.html

It eventually worked, I just ran into a little trouble in the configuration. When it tried to start the Virtual Machine, it failed to start and started Windows Repair, which didn't get anywhere. I tried starting it again, this time cancelling the Windows Repair - it started just fine. I had to start the installation of Parallels tools manually from the virtual CD drive. After that installation finished and I started up the virtual machine again, everything seemed to be working smoothly.

(I haven't booted up using the Boot Camp partition since setting up the VM, but it did work before so I don't anticipate that being an issue.)


I don't know if this will help in your case, but I know that it's possible. If you have some specific questions, I may be able to help with those.
 
Back
Top